What a difference some wine makes...
It really can be the simple things in life that make the world of difference. Yesterday, my mom was in a pretty good mood mainly because she was out of the ICU. Having a root beer float also brought her some happiness. Enjoying some black jelly beans that the Director of Sales from Woodside Terrace brought her = more happiness. Simple things.
Today I had a very quick visit with her. I had stopped by WT to pick up her newspaper and it wasn't quite the in & out that I had hoped or planned for on my timeline. But it is very nice to see so many people concerned for her well-being. First, Ericka at the front desk wanted to know how mom was doing, so I gave her the update and she said, "be sure to tell her that Ericka from the front desk is looking forward to her coming back home." I ran into one of the nurses at the wellness station, Lourdes and she wanted to know how mom was doing. I figured since I was at it, I should check in with the Nurse Supervisors and they were both there, so I gave them the update and they were happy to hear she was out of ICU and said they would go visit her. Just very touching. It's no doubt that my mother leaves an impression on people and it's a very positive one. She takes an interest in people, she talks and more importantly LISTENS to people.
I got to Sequoia and she was happy to see me, I had her newspaper and transistor radio. She is very happy to be able to listen to 96.5 KOIT, when she is not listening to KNBR 680 to follow the Giants now that baseball season is underway. I think she is more excited about me going to Opening Day tomorrow than I am. (I'm just tired, I am excited, but tired) Today she sat up on the edge of her bed for breakfast, but had to lay back down when her wounds started to drain. It is also very painful for her to sit up like that right now- the leg just hurts. I pray that this gets better, she has to be able to walk on that foot. OT & PT have started their visits.
She called me this evening, she was very chipper on the phone and very chatty. Seemed to have a good rest of her day and had to let me know that Suzanne her day nurse made sure that she got her glass of wine with dinner. I think it came a bit after dinner, but she didn't care - she told me she sipped her wine in bed through the straw and it was fabulous. She was happy to hear about the rest of my day and was just overall talking with a real zest for life in her voice. We hung up and then about 30 minutes later she called again- right after a very loud boom of thunder- well she didn't hear the thunder, but she saw the light show and called because she was "afeared" (it's the way we would say "afraid" in "babytalk" to each other) - we laughed, but again she sounded so good. Very refreshing and very good feeling to hear her healing in her voice.
I am a true believer that a positive attitude means everything and can help you to move mountains. She is one fiesty pistol!
Ok- so off to bed....almost 1230am...I am going, going, gone!! NOW!
No comments:
Post a Comment