Monday, April 09, 2012

Passing of the Torch...

Today I received an email that I really was expecting, but am actually a bit mad at myself for not sending the email myself to begin with.  For the first time ever, I've been asked to give up a class at the gym.   I had been thinking, especially the last couple of weeks that maybe it was time to give up my Friday Spin class.  I have had to get people to sub my class for quite a few classes this year and it's only April.  I have felt bad about that, but also know that I can't help emergencies.  Many of the weeks have been related to my mom and that sure has been a journey in and out of the hospitals since February 3rd.  I had planned on finally returning to my Friday class this past Friday, but then mom ended up in the ER Thursday night and I didn't have a good feeling about it at the time, so got coverage to play it safe.  As it turns out I probably could have taught that next day, but had no way of knowing.    Of course, then I start to work on subs for my vacation and realize that I have two Fridays for that and then with the added college trip to Alaska, that was another Friday- making it three in a row.  I didn't have a great feeling about it.  However, I always remain the optimist that "once I get back from vacation, things will get back to normal".  When are things EVER normal in my life?   What is NORMAL?

I'm not terribly heart-broken about giving up this class.  I will teach this Friday and say good-bye to those who are there, although with this week being Spring Break I may miss several of the regulars.  Other than the people who I've gotten to know over the years and the relationships that I have formed, I have been getting burned out on Spin.  So giving that part of my fitness career a break is actually a bit welcoming to me.  I have considered taking the RPM certification and may actually do that next time there is a training that fits my already nutso schedule- but I think it is needed for me to get excited once again to teach on a bike.  In the meantime, I plan to enjoy my free Friday mornings now and take a class here to there.  My favorite Zumba instructor teaches Friday mornings, so I can take her class for a bit, but I think it's wise that I not take on any new classes on Fridays.  We are busy people, we travel, if we don't go away for a full week, we make it a long weekend.  It will be nice not to stress over Fridays anymore.   Of course, as much as I thought things would have gotten back to normal in May, I look at the calendar and I would have needed two Fridays in June covered for Michael's Graduation and then our Vegas weekend.

So after this coming Friday my 5 classes per week will become 4 and then at the end of April my 4 will become 3 with the closing of Fitness 101.  Now that one I am bummed about- my Thursday Body Pump was small, but they are a hard working bunch and we have become a family, so I will miss them - I only have them two more weeks since I will be away on the last Thursday before the club closes.

Everything happens for a reason- maybe this is God's way of telling me that I am taking on too much and that I need to lighten my load - or else!   Really God, I'm trying- I really am...but you know me...I don't slow down hardly ever!   I promise, let me get to June and I will slow down!

No comments: