Friday, April 27, 2012

TGI almost F!!  Mom in Rehab....College Trip #1= history!

What a week!  Goodness me!  Mom was transferred to the Jewish Home Rehab facility on Tuesday, I was able to be there for the transfer, see her off at Sequoia and then visit her in her room once she was settled.  It went well.  She has a nice room, very private and large and so far the staff seems very nice and attentive.   I went to visit her again Wednesday morning and bring her a few more personal items and she was in good spirits overall.   I am pretty confident that she will only be there 1- 2 weeks.  She is determined to get well quickly so she can get back "home" and she is now considering Woodside Terrace as "home".    Lots of relief that she was transferred in a timeline that worked into my  schedule.   A huge "thank you" goes out to my friend & nurse at the CSU, Dianne who talked with mom the morning of her release and also to Nurse Marcie who also took some time with mom to help her work through her feelings of loss.  She is really now starting to go through the grieving process of losing her "home"- the place she's lived for almost 60 years.   She is now so much better with her health that I think she can now face the reality that she really can't go back to her home and it's sad.  We are trying to keep her focused on all of the positive and make sure we can get her apartment to feel as much like home to her.  Although, I vote against clutter- hell if it's not a safety hazard,  I don't care what her apartment looks like!   I have spoken to her on the phone yesterday and today while en route and in Alaska and seems she has had some good and productive therapy sessions!   I love that she is so attentive to the Giants and their games- she called me today just to let me know that they won!

Michael & I are now sitting in the Fairbanks airport awaiting our return flight home- it's a 130am flight that arrives into SF at 930am- so unless we get a cat nap on the plane- we will have been up about 26 hours by the time we land and there won't be any sleep anytime soon once we land.  We  have plans to go visit my mom a bring her a few things (newspaper and milkshake) and then get home.  I will work what has to get worked on and then crawl into bed for a long nap!!  I am exhausted and not really sure how my eyes are staying open right now--but they are and I am not an airplane sleeper..so we'll see how this all plays out!   We have had a very successful day in Fairbanks!   1/2 day college tour that was very eye-opening, I like UAF and think that Michael would do well here, but we'll see how both colleges compare once we visit  RIT on Monday.  We finished up around 1pm and then headed to visit a hotel so that I could be "travel professional",.  We toured the Princess Fairbanks Lodge and it was nice to see one of the Princess properties up close and we had a very nice maintenance man who volunteered to take us to see rooms.  Truth be told, we probably got a better tour with him than we would have with any Travel Industry Sales person!    We then went to the visitors bureau and looked over all the exhibits on display and it was nice to learn more about the Alaska way of life in the non-tourist season!    Then finally, a double feature movie- we went to see "21 Jump Street" and then an hour later, "Lockout"- both were good and it was a nice way to pass some time!   Now into our 2nd hour waiting at the airport, in about an hour we will be on the plane- finally! 

Overall, a good week- productive in many ways.  But sooooooooooo looking forward to a nap tomorrow and some downtime on Saturday before the whirlwind continues and we fly to Rochester, NY on Sunday morning!  Oasis of the Seas--you are only 8 days away and this girl needs a cruise really bad!!! STAT!!

No comments: