Friday, April 13, 2012

The Bucket List...of ailments! 

I went to visit mom this evening after being at the Giants Season Home Opening Game and when I walked into her room, she was being transfused!   I was shocked and asked her what was up with the blood transfusion and she disgustingly looks at me and says, "Now, I'm anemic!"  You can tell she's just super frustrated and I don't blame her!  I teased her and said, "What do you have a bucket list of health conditions/ailments or something?"

Seriously though, in the past year or so she has had or been diagnosed with:  duodenal ulcer, leg ulcers,  poor circulation that resulted in the bypass surgery, kidney damage from surgery (recovered on her own), c-diff bacterial infection twice, congestive heart failure, high potassium (kidney related), blood clot, MRSA bacteria carrier and now anemia!   

Well, she was eating her dinner and drinking her glass of wine and she was overall in good spirits.  She was very happy that the Giants won today and she enjoyed listening to the game on her radio.  She said that she didn't get out of bed today- the Doctor didn't want her to; however, they did decide to not bandage her leg today which she said felt good to let it "air out".   She continues to be impressed by the level of care and the fact that all these Doctors are visiting her daily.  They are pleased with her progress.  

I was asking her nurse, Suzanne some things while she was changing out the transfusion packet and while asking how many liters of Oxygen mom was on, she said "one liter, but she can probably live without it.  We are just giving it to her now because of the transfusion".  This is really good news- I mean the Docs had always said when she was in Sequoia last time that they felt the Oxygen would be temporary and it stands to reason that will all the things she has been fighting, she has required additional Oxygen.  If she can get off the O2, she will be able to be much more independent.  Since she really had not been walking at all in over a week, I am sure she will be in the hospital for another 3-4 days at least.  I'm not sure when she will be able to bear weight on her left foot.  That is probably the largest obstacle at this time.  





No comments: