Monday, May 11, 2009

Cross Fit Journey


So today I started my first "Cross Fit" training and I can see that this is going to be an awesome program! Each day the workout is different and you don't know what to expect. You are also timed on the circuit, so that you can see how much better you do the next time around.

Today's workout was called "The Hanson" (I think)...
anyway- we started with some stretching, then a 400m run/jog outside (ok I'm in serious trouble for the Nike 1/2 marathon in October ~ what was I thinking?)
After that warm-up, we then started the circuit:

5 rounds, 10 reps of the following:


1. Kettle Ball Swings
2. Burpees (OK- i HATE Burpees...I don't care what anyone says, they are not good for me and I really, really HATE them)
3. Ab Machine/Crunches

My time today for the 5 circuits: 15:00
I would have done so much better had it not been for burpees!

Afterwards, we did some stretching and then bridges off of stability balls, balancing one leg at a time, and then ended with a few planks.

I am SORE ~ and it's only been 4 hours!
I am SORE ~ and I am a fitness instructor! In shape, but not in this shape!! This is the type of training that police officers and firefighters go through!!
I am SORE ~ but it will get better!!

The philosophy behind the Cross Fit program is that every workout is different, you never know what you'll get from one day to the next. I have heard that there will be a few times when we meet at a nearby swimming pool and one of the "circuits" will be to swim a lap!

Really going to give this my best shot and see how it goes- I need someone to kick my ass into gear and make me accountable. It's also nice being somewhat "done" with my workout at 630am!


2 comments:

Brien Shamp said...

Good stuff Pam. Glad to see you this morning. It took me about 3 weeks to adapt to the energy requirements of CrossFit, but given the workout is always different you can never really adapt.

I look forward to seeing your progress in the next few weeks.

Brien
www.optimalfitnesslifestyle.com

Pam Harper Horst said...

Thanks Brien! Yes, I can see that I am going to be modifying my "to bed" time!! Rest is really important!