Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Butterflies.....

I no longer have butterflies in my stomach with Michael going away to college.   I have been so nervous, thinking of all the "what ifs".  What if he and his roommate don't like each other, what if he hates the college once he's there, what if, what if, what if.   Well, today was "move in" day and we started it exhausted from the long travel day and two nights of minimal sleep.   The check-in process was very smooth, very organized and while we were waiting our turn to "drop" the stuff, I asked him if he was nervous at all, "no", if he was excited "ya, sort of"- just all matter of fact replies.  I thought to myself- why should he be nervous- I've got that emotion covered!

Once I dropped him and his stuff, then parked and shuttled myself back to the dorm- he had already gone to town and put all his clothes away, was making his bed, arranging everything on his desk.  He was really "into this".   I met his roommate David and his family:  Nancy (mom), Tim (dad) and Jessica (sister)- a very nice family and I could tell right away that David and Michael were going to hit if off- I was already seeing it.    Then we learn that David's best friend Jeff is also at R.I.T. and they purposely did not room together so that they could meet new people and cross-introduce friends.  How mature is that?    Of course, Jeff and Michael hit it off as well and I am already seeing  "the three amigos".   (we were all walking to the Resource Fair - shown below)  Jeff's parents (Sandy & Carl were also very nice people)


Once we were all unpacked, we headed to the Resource Fair - a place to get the Student ID, open bank accounts with local banks, make sure the health center has all required information, check out job opportunities on campus, etc.  Once we were done with that, we had lunch, went to the bookstore and got those nasty, expensive things ($350!) and then went to dinner with the entire group of our new friends.  At dinner, I noticed that Michael, David and Jeff really had no idea that we were there, they were so into their conversation with each other.

Today, I got to witness Michael spreading his wings.  He is grown up, he has been for quite sometime, but today it just sort of hit me.   He's 19 and a Freshman in college and he has left home.  WOW!    Of course, today there were many times that I had to introduce myself as "Aunt Pam" and after awhile, I just stopped correcting people who would assume I was his mother.  Like my sister said- for all intents and purposes...sigh.    Over dinner tonight, Nancy asked me what happened to Michael's mother, I don't think she expected to hear that his mother has chosen to not be a part of his life.   I have a very hard time telling people this without getting tears in my eyes.  

I really think that David's parents are pleased with Michael as his roommate.  They are so well matched- they both like the room cold, they both go to bed early, they have similar interests in computers, lights/sound and they are both Lutheran.  It was really awesome to see them in the "getting to know you" process.  

Tonight I met the President of R.I.T. and attended a meeting for families.  It was very informative and you just really left with a good feeling.  A feeling that tells you that your kid is in a good, safe environment.  Although, I'm not looking forward to saying good-bye tomorrow night, I do feel that I can leave and know that Michael is just fine and that he's going to do fabulously in college.  What an adventure for him, what an experience - SUPER proud and excited "Ahn-eee"  (that's how Michael first said my name 17 years ago).

David & Michael, showing 1/2 the dorm room...it's really quite large.

ID card! 


No comments: