Thursday, October 06, 2011

Where do I begin?

Well, today was kind of a strange day.  I woke up in time for my walk with Diane, although I was secretly hoping that she would text me to cancel- really wanted to just lay in bed and listen to the rain- well it wasn't raining at that time either, which would have been a reason to cancel the walk.   I got my phone- no text.  Getting ready, my phone blings- "cool, a text" I think.  Well Diane was asking if we were walking because it was raining up by her house, but not hard.  I told her "yes, let's walk".  I was proud of myself because I could have taken the easy way out.  We had a good walk/talk session and seem to be doing our 3 mile gig faster each day.  I did well in my shoes with my orthotics..felt good.

Came home to start my work day, answered some emails and then felt lazy.  See I really did need to sleep in this morning.  Anyway, I had not gone to Angie's Zumba class in quite awhile and I found myself thinking that I could fit it into my schedule today- so I scrambled out of here at 1030am for her 1045am class.  She was so excited to see me there, I was happy to be there.  It's really cool to get a glimpse of yourself in the mirror while taking a class (something I don't get to do nearly often enough) and my first thing I noticed was that I did look thinner...then I noticed that I was beaming with an ear to ear smile. Angie's Zumba class does that to me, she has such infectious energy!  It was so far a pretty great day.

Spent the afternoon on travel work (not enough, I still have plenty to work on), and decided I would take my shower early and get ready for dancing tonight so that I would not let the lazy gene take over and cancel the dance plans.  Although, I really do like having a night home during the week and that is something we don't have very much of lately.   We went dancing and had a decent time.  It was a small crowd tonight and I felt a little less energetic tonight- gee perhaps it was the walk and zumba from earlier.  I had hoped to try my orthotics in my dance boots, but they would not fit.  So I decided to put them into my dance gym shoes and they fit, but I still had some discomfort during the evening and it made dancing just not a lot of fun.  I was happy to see 10pm roll around so we could come home.   So I think dancing will be the one non-orthotic activity.  I'll have to use my boots with their normal inserts.  Usually, my foot doesn't bother me dancing, so hopefully that will remain the same and dancing won't irritate my foot problem.  

Bill had asked me a valid question tonight and I'll have to remember to ask the Foot Dr. when I go for my follow up visit.  Will these orthotics be a way of life forever now or will my foot "heal" and I'll be able to go back to my normal shoes w/o orthotics.   Who knows.   Overall, right now my feet are feeling better using the orthotics on my walks and today's Zumba class was pretty good also.  I would usually experience some numbing in my left foot on occasion during Zumba, but not today.  I'm optimistic with a tiny bit of guard. 

Today Steve Jobs, CEO and Co-Founder of Apple passed away.  56 years old.  Facebook was flooded with "RIP" messages and links to famous quotes and videos of his.  I was particularly drawn to his commencement speech that he presented to the Class of 2005 Stanford Graduates.   Quite inspirational.     
Something like this makes you a bit more reflective than you would normally be.   I had a long conversation with my brother tonight and we were talking about Jobs and his speech - my brother was also moved.   This lead to a discussion about "life" and actually got to be quite philosophical.  I really do worry about my brother.  He has had so much CRAP to deal with over the last 5 years and I honestly don't know how he keeps on keepin' on.  I mean how can one person have so much shit delivered upon them and still go about their daily lives?   Just when things start looking up, it's the classic two steps forward and one step back, hell sometimes it's three steps back.    I often question how such negative crap can happen to a truly good person.  Sure, he has his faults - we all do, but he really is good person with a big heart.  It's that big heart that has gotten him into trouble- he gives and give and gives and unfortunately gets taken advantage of by greedy, selfish people.   If he weren't my brother, he'd still be a friend (we can't choose our family, but we can choose our friends).  I am at such a loss talking to him because I have absolutely no answers for him.  His crap has been going on for so damn friggin' long and seriously I just don't know how he has dealt all this time.   I feel helpless.  He needs things to turn around for him and there is no time to wait.  Patience is long gone and the clock is ticking.   One day at a time....guess that's all we can focus on for the time being. 

No comments: