Sunday, September 25, 2011

Monday already?

Well, I am certainly NOT ready for this week that faces me.  It is going to be a VERY busy week with travel and I should have gotten some quotes done today, but I was in major LAZY mode.   I still have my pile of work sitting here next to me, but have I touched it- no!  Meanwhile, I've gotten two new trip requests today from brand new people!   Sometimes it takes this craziness for me to button down the hatches and get focused...here's hoping for that!

The weekend was good- a birthday party for our two nieces Kinsley & Shelby who will be 5 & 4 in the next 30 days.  We stayed in Friday night, which was needed after a long day that had started early for me with 545am spin.  Saturday before the birthday party I subbed two classes at Gold's - spin and then Body Pump.   The Spin class was not good.  This is the second time I've subbed for the same instructor and the first time some of the members got on my case for teaching a 45 minute class (the schedule says its 45 minutes, I didn't know that the instructor usually went about 50-55 minutes)- I had gotten lots of great feedback though from other members that day about my cues and reminding them of good form and explaining why we want to climb this way or sprint this way.   They made it very clear to me that they don't get that sort of instruction very often.  Sad.  So I went to sub the same group of people again and before class even started one person asked me if I was teaching a 45 minute class and I told her that I had a 57 minute CD I was playing and that we'd probably be done about 55 minutes.  She seemed pleased with that reply.  However, the class had about 1/2 of the participants that just would not do what I was instructing:   we were doing a seated climb and several were out of the saddle, we were doing seated sprints and several would stand going as fast as they could without resistance,  some riding flats with "no hands" , even after I'd continue to reiterate what they should be doing and why, I got some people chuckling.  It really pissed me off, but I refrained from saying anything to them.  I continued to teach and was thankful when it was all over.  I might as well have been a DJ for them and told everyone to "have fun for the next hour, ride however you like" because it really didn't matter what I was instructing, they were going to do their own thing.  I have NEVER been so disrespected in a class like that before, EVER in 11 years!   Now people like this don't just do this because there is a sub, which now makes me wonder what does the regular instructor teach?  I mean I honestly think that she probably lets them do whatever they want and that is not what we are hired to do- we are supposed to be leading a safe class so that members have an enjoyable and effective workout.  I know that each class has a certain style and we as instructors all have our own styles of teaching, but this type of reception from participants is not right and uncalled for to say the least. I can't change them in one class- afterall, "I am the sub"- my word doesn't mean crap to them vs. the regular instructor.

Body Pump was fantastic though- had a decent size class, some of the members I knew from my Tuesday class- great form, high energy and they worked it hard.  So thankful for a good class to help me get over the crappy Spin class.  I will go back and sub these guys ANYTIME!  They were fabulous!

We went dancing Saturday night and had a really good dance night- I danced more than Bill but only because I know many more dances than he does, but I think he was happy to have gone out and got some movin' & groovin'!    Today I slept until noon and could have slept longer, it was a need for the bathroom and the desire to see how the 49ers were doing that got me out of bed!   I remained on the couch the rest of the afternoon in PJ's, watched some of our shows from the week that we had missed.  It was divine!  

I decided to get on the scale this morning- and I know I should practice what I preach, by not getting on the scale anyday other than weigh day- but I think I was a bit in disbelief that I was still in the 160's on Friday after vacation, so sure enough I got on the scale and weighed in 3 pounds heavier than Friday.  Ugh!   I know that vacation was not good, was expecting a negative result, but I had kicked things into high gear since being back and thought that would have negated the effects..guess not.   I also think that things are a little screwy with my system- I know I am peri-menopausal and my cycles are very inconsistent right now...from a  20   day cycle to what is now a 43 & counting day cycle...still waiting...that could have something to do with my lack of significant change on my weight as well.  I figured that I should take measurements though to really validate the progress that I am making and I am making progress.  I do know that muscle weighs more than fat and I've been doing a lot of Body Pump in the last month....that's got to have some impact as well.

The last time I measured myself was 8/9/11 - so about 6 weeks and I have made progress:  1/4 inch on my arms, 1/4 inch around the chest, 1/2 inch on the waist, 1/4 inch around the tummy, 1/2 inch on the hips, 3/4 inch on the thighs, 1/4 inch on the calves.  The interesting thing- my weight this morning was only 1 pound lower than what I logged on 8/9/11.  I was a bit in disbelief that I really have not made any progress on the weigh in number in this amount of time.  But then again, the measurements do show that I've made progress...the mind games can drive you crazy if you let them.

Hoping Friday will bring a good weigh in and hopefully I can reverse the impact of vacation.  I am not teaching a lot of classes this week- 3 Body Pumps, 3 Spins.  I plan on walking 4 times with Diane this week, Dancing with hubby twice and hope to schedule in a few other visits to the gym.  I am tempted to join a fellow instructor Saturday for the launch of the new Body Combat and Body Flow releases at the Y, but am a bit leery after teaching two classes that morning myself...I'll decided soon.

No comments: