I Said I wouldn't, but I still am....
Why is that scale so darn tempting??!!! Even though I know in my head that I should not weigh in every day- I am still doing it. I am seeing the number go down...so that is good. But I find it quite amusing that we do place so much validity on that little piece of equipment.
Today, I was exhausted and skipped my morning walk (partly due to exhaustion, but my foot was also troubling me)- I decided to go back to bed after taking my nephews to school. I slept until 1130am and then hit the desk with a vengeance- was extremely busy, but still had a very productive day! In any case, I got up, decided I would weigh myself, but didn't want to take off my pj's since I planned on working in them today (a true luxury of working from home from time to time). The scale said 170.6. So then I got curious- after all, this was good- the darn thing was close to 173 the other day when my vacation must have "caught up" to me. I wondered how much my pj's and socks weighed and I normally weight myself in the buff. So I stripped down to my birthday suit and got on the scale- STILL 170.6...I did this 4 times, same reading. I put my pj's back on, got on the scale again and STILL 170.6. I know my pj's weigh something- .2 or .3 or something...so now I'm beginning to wonder just how reliable that darn thing is anyway!
Nuts, that's what it will do to you, drive you nuts! Funny thing tonight I get home from my BodyPump class and go to take a shower. I notice my towels are not hanging properly- this is always the "sign" that my husband has weighed himself. So I start to chuckle because this means that he came home from work, after going to the gym and decided to weigh himself....so it's not just a girl obsession...it's a losing weight obsession. I asked him "how was your weigh in tonight?" - he laughed because he knew how I knew and said that it was much better than Saturday's weigh in day for him. I teased him back and said "were you checking to see how your two nights at the gym sized up on the scale?" Oh the games we play with ourselves.
I received a nice, encouraging email tonight from my friend Katy and she included a link to a blog about the scale and why we should toss them out: http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/06/22/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/ Now although it makes a lot of sense and it's pretty "telling", I'm still not sure I am ready to part with my scale! Maybe once I get to a desired "size", then I can get rid of the scale.
This brings me to another point. Everyone says, don't pay attention to the scale and that number, pay attention to the measurements and how your clothes feel. I totally agree with this- how your clothes look & feel are a true testament. However, anyone else ever notice how clothes these days, more and more are manufactured with more elasticity? For a very long time, prior to this weigh loss journey start, I was wearing size 12 jeans and I would be scared to death to wash them, because I was afraid they would not fit again and I was not going to go buy 14's. I would wear my jeans 5-8 times before washing them- I mean I'm not dirty, I wear undergarments, so unless I spill something on them- do they really need washing (that was the mentality)?! So now the 12's are very loose and I wash them after each wear or two. Now I play the game with the 10's and I even have a pair of size 8 capris that are fitting now, but I'm sure that they were probably stretched out to be a size 10 over the years...
It's just a bit crazy the games that we play with ourselves...but we have a lot of help from outside influences too! Heck, 12 years ago when I did the WW journey for the first time--it was cotton leggings that got me into some trouble- you never really knew you were getting fat- you were wearing stretch pants!
Anyway, based on my scale cheating, I do expect to be back in the 160's by weigh day on Friday, although it is tempting to change weigh day to Saturdays after a good night of dancing! That's what Bill did- he liked his Saturday morning numbers much more than Friday...and the game continues!
No comments:
Post a Comment