So here we go again....
The two sores on mom's legs are not healing and in fact the one on the front of her shin has been looking like it's gotten worse. Last week, Dr Gillon took a swab of the wound to run a test to see what we are dealing with here and yesterday we got the results that it is once again the MRSA infection. This is the same infection that eventually led to the loss of the big toe- so some very serious stuff. We decided that the best course of action would be IV Vancomycin as an outpatient. It really is the most efficient way to get the drugs into her system so that they can attack this infection, it is also covered by medicare doing it this way vs. oral vanco which is $30 per pill after insurance is calculated into things.
So it got set up very quickly, much quicker than I thought it would. I got the call to bring her in at 2pm today to start and that we'd be looking at 2x a day for 7 days, each day at 8am and 4pm. YIKES! So once I got over my initial shock of the frequency, and broke the news to my mom because she is not a happy early riser...I looked over my calendar and realized that other than a few conflicts that I needed to work out- the time schedule really was going to work out best and still afford me some time in the middle of the day to get some work done. I also convinced mom that this would be good for her, she'd get back in time for breakfast and in time for dinner/bingo.
Today's infusion took much longer though because it's the initial start up and making sure the IV gets put in correctly, paperwork completed, etc. They are hoping tomorrow to be able to insert a pik line to make the transfusions much easier and less poking and probing to find a vein. Just not sure if she can be squeezed in tomorrow and if she can't then my Wednesday is going to get tossed up, but I"ll work it out...it may just turn out to be a day off so that I don't stress out. We'll see.
The next week is really critical, we NEED this Vanco to do the trick, we need to see the leg wounds showing signs of improvement. The bandage changes are getting more painful for mom and that can only mean more vulnerable tissue is exposed and we are dangerously close to having the bone exposed. She simply cannot lose her leg, that would be just too much for her to deal with. The toe was hard enough and that was mostly emotional, the leg would be both emotional and so physical of an adjustment. Other than self-destruction with cigarettes, she is a very good person - she does not deserve to go through that. PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!
So I am gearing up for what was once a quiet, peaceful week that will now be a very packed week with 12 hospital visits- I may be able to get some relief with 2-3 of them, a nail appointment, a Giants game, 5 classes to teach, a night of dancing that I have promised my husband come hell or high water, a long day of babysitting 5 kiddos on Saturday and a massage on Sunday! Oh and don't forget, run a travel business! Monday is probably the worst day though with 2 early morning classes, then 8am infusion for mom, 10 am eye Doc appt for mom and then 1215pm vascular doc appt for mom...HA! Not sure how we're going to pull that off- everyone must be on schedule and my brother will help with drop off to mom's infusion!
This is actually going to be a low-key weekend, other than these runs to the hospital infusion center. And we're ready for a low-key one I think. We've been on a party marathon of late and it has been fun, but I am exhausted. This past weekend was tons of fun- the highlights: GREAT dinner in Saratoga at The Basin with the most amazing NY Steak that I've ever had, fun fun concert at Mountain Winery - old school with Sugar Hill Gang and friends.., lunch with my High School BFF (but known here since 1st grade), Neighborhood reunion and got to see my Godparent's daughter after connecting on Facebook, helped a beautiful fitness instructor friend celebrate her wedding day at the "after party"...and finished up the weekend with the 49er Home Opener with a nice win over the Detroit Lions! Just an action-packed, fun-filled weekend!
I have a feeling after this weekend....and the week to come...that massage on Sunday will be very well earned! Looking ahead to the following weekend with a nice over-night trip to Reno with my Sis to win big at Bingo! We have not done this in AGES!
So I think that I am just about ready to get to bed and get a good night sleep to attack this week.
Oh and the Giants Magic Number is now EIGHT!! HA!
No comments:
Post a Comment