A week later...
Wow, has it really been a week since my last post? Time is flying by way quicker than I can handle. I am overwhelmed and THAT is an understatement!
ME- well I have been busy this week, back to teaching all 5 of my classes, did 3 walks with Diane, went dancing Friday night, travel work (crazy busy) off the hook and of course visiting mom. I am trying to find balance, which is always a challenge for me- but I managed to visit her Monday, Wednesday, Friday and today. I will go again tomorrow and think I will fit the MWF schedule in for next week. I am the only one to visit this week since my sister is in Hawaii and my brother's schedule is even more overwhelming than mine right now and much more critical. I am still nursing the "cough" from last weeks's sickness and still don't have my full energy level back. It is very "tough" to teach my classes right now, but I am pushing through. I had a few very productive days with travel work, but alas still have quite a bit to accomplish. I am hoping that I can get some time in tomorrow night on work to start the week off on the right foot. I am blessed to be so busy and keep getting new requests from strangers that are finding me on Yelp! I just looked tonight and I have the best and most reviews for Travel Agencies in Redwood City! Woot woot!!
MOM - overall her week in Skilled Nursing at CPMC has gone well. There is definitely a different vibe in the place M-F vs. the weekends. I am not at all pleased with the weekend service, but don't see a way to change it at this point. It seems that the weekends are times for the employees to be lackadaisical because there aren't that many "eyes" at the place. No PT's, no OT's, no nursing students-- it's just the nursing staff and their aides. I find it so appalling that my mother has to wait 10+ minutes for someone to respond to her call button. It's not just her because I asked her roommate and she's not happy with the response time. Neither of these ladies "ring" for the fun of it- they ring because there is a real need and for my mother it is usually associated with "potty" assistance. Last night they took over 20 minutes to respond and she ended up having an "accident" and they had to clean her up. This is UNCALLED for and completely unacceptable. I will be voicing my opinion about this to the people who matter on Monday when they return to work. On the up side- yesterday mom walked 35 feet with the assistance of a walker and a wheelchair to sit for breaks and she also climbed 2 stairs. This is progress and they will be doing a lot more of that in the week to come. Her pain seems to be getting a bit better. They changed the type of dressing on the ulcer wounds and that seems to have made the world of difference on the pain level. Unfortunately, the "nurse" makes a difference as well. Nurse Colby seems to actually care for his patients and was so careful in changing her wounds that he was "sweating" and my mother really appreciated his care and concern to make sure he could minimize the pain she would feel. He is the exception to the rule for the staff working here.
Overall, I am not impressed with "skilled nursing" and am so upset that my mother has to be in a facility like this. I have no idea if this is the "norm", but it sucks. I sort of relate this to my experience on cruise ships. The newer cruise ships have the best of the best crew, the older cruise ships do not and the service is indicative. I feel as though "skilled nursing" must be the equivalent to the "old ships".
WEIGHT LOSS - well I thought we were moving in the right direction when I weighed in at 166, but then this friday was back at 169. I blame "womanhood" on this, because my points were in check. I've been good, I've been working out again and eating relatively well "for me". But low & behold it's the "non-period" period time. Should have had it a week ago, but once again a "no show" (thanks to the 'change')...so seems like I gain weight on that week if I don't get a period, but if I do get a period I drop a few pounds. Go figure. The body- what a crazy thing! However, I am trying to remain focused on the goal for the May 5th cruise...really want to drop 10 pounds by then- need to get serious about this and see how I can jump things up!
OTHER - I took a great Photography class today, although was yawning through the entire class just out of overall exhaustion. My motto, keep on pushing! It was nice to do something out of the ordinary and I did learn a lot- now if I can only remember it all! Tomorrow will be fun, hopefully up early enough or church, then 1030am hitting the road to visit mom first and deliver the Sunday paper to her, then up to Fairfield for a visit/lunch with niece Jenifer and her baby girl MacKenzie. Looking forward to the visit and to a lunch at Chevy's since our two locations are closed! May go visit mom on the way home, we'll see how she sounds on the phone. The weekends are so lonely there for her, I think she really enjoys the visits during the week from the nursing students- they actually care and show compassion! Then it's Monday again- and hello March this week- YIKES!! I better start Christmas Shopping!
No comments:
Post a Comment