Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Slowing Down...

It has been a crazy year and I am ready to slow down.  Yes, you heard it right here from the Horst's mouth.   Last week ended the baseball season and I had not realized just how much baseball had consumed my life- well certainly my October.  What a fantabulous ride, but I look back on the month and I was seriously unproductive!   But I do have lots of memories to last me a lifetime.   Of course, the missing link to the season was the fact that I could not attend the Victory Parade on 10/31, but I did the next best thing.  We arrived at the airport with plenty of time to get set up on the laptop to watch the parade online.  I did get to see all of it and hear the speeches in front of City Hall.    So very proud of my GIANTS.

It has taken me a week, but I finally changed my Facebook profile picture and cover photo and took down my "Orange".   I also had my nails done and no longer done the orange & black nail color.  A bit depressing, but then again I have 49er football to occupy my time and fortunately that is just about 4 hours per week!  I need that to slow down.

Last week was very unproductive since our stay in CT was extended thanks to Hurricane Sandy, and then I came down with a very brief cold- enough to knock me down for a day.  I do think that I was smart and instantly slowed down and was able to nip the cold in the bud.  The weekend was not super busy, so that also helped and I realized that I am in need of some down time.  Bill asked me what we had planned for this coming weekend and we had two "maybe" replies to parties and he said he'd rather stay at home and I concurred.   He's been super busy at work and put in two back to back 14 hour days when we finally got back from CT.  He also worked all weekend.

This week is my normal, lots of things to get done sort of week and add into that 2 Doctor appointments for mom and hopefully a discharge/move back to her apartment type of week.   But I am really looking forward to a weekend of staying home- oh but wait, this might be demo weekend on bathroom #1, that might just change the "feel" of the weekend from relaxed to stressed.  Hmmm.

Checked another thing off my bucket list last night, went to see Barbra Streisand in concert.  Can't believe she is 70 years old!  So happy that I got to see her in concert.  She was amazing and played a good portion of songs that I wanted to hear.  From "Memories" to "Happy Days" to "Lost Inside of You" to "Evergreen" and so much more.  My only complaint was that I wish she would have done more upbeat songs, but she is 70 and I'm sure those upbeat songs take so much more to pull off.  What a legend.


I'm absolutely stunned that we are in November already.  Where the hell has this year gone?  Oh yes, I've been a bit preoccupied taking care of mom.  What a year.   I just pray that the worst is over for her and that upon this discharge she can go home to her apartment and start living again.  The leg wounds are almost healed, think the pneumonia has taken care of itself, she has been exercising a lot and getting stronger.  It's just about time that she has an easy go of things.  That she has fun.

I am not ready for the holidays and should be starting to freak out anytime now.  I am not anywhere close in finishing up shopping for gifts, but I need to.  I have bought Bill a gift even though we said "no gifts" this year in lieu of our remodel projects.  I just couldn't resist.   While I am not ready for the holidays, I am ready for 2013.   A fresh start, a new year, a good year.  Although this year has not been particularly bad, it has just been very challenging and I just want my family and friends who I care about to have a good year, productive, happy, easy year.

Now that I will be slowing down...I will also start to ramp up my fitness.  It's time.  I have rested my foot for quite a bit now and it feels pretty good.  I'm ready to put it to the test and see how I fair with dancing and walking.  Just walking to/from the car last night for the concert (about 15 minutes each way) seemed to be good and I wasn't wearing walking shoes.   I need to get back on track and start to lose the same 50 pounds that I started to lose last year.  Time to take care of me.  Slowing down will be good.

No comments: