Monday, October 15, 2012

What an AMAZING BUCKET LIST type of day!

I was FINALLY able to participate on the field at AT&T park to unfurl the American Flag for the National Anthem.  I have had this invite as a season ticket holder several times, but every previous time either I didn't have tickets for the specific game or had a conflict.  This time around when I was offered NLCS game #1 or game #2, not knowing which day these games would get played, by the time I clicked the link ONLY game #2 was available- so I signed up for 4 people.   Then I prayed that we'd play the Cardinals in this playoff series so that game #2 would be today.   If we were playing the Nationals, then game #2 would be Thursday when I will already be at the 49er game!  What a life!

Anyway, I was very selective in who I asked to go with me.  I wanted to have someone who was a Giants fan, someone who has not done this before and of course someone who would be fun.,  I, of course, would have wanted Bill or my brother to join me, but both of them had critical work schedules that they just couldn't mess with.  I was very happy when my friend and wonderful hair stylist, Linda texted back to me "OMG, yes yes yes".  We met on the train this morning and had a quick lunch before meeting up with the staff to go over our "flag unfurling training".  

It was a GORGEOUS day in San Francisco, never needed my dad's pullover sweater that I brought or my warm jacket.  In fact, at times it was downright HOT and we had to get out of the sun.  We ran through the practice twice and it was exciting and also a little unnerving because we were on the "running" side of the flag- having to run while you pull the flag out and making sure you don't fall.  In fact, they said if you fall- just stay there and wait until the flag is fully unfurled and then crawl to daylight.  "nobody will notice" they said.  Gosh, I would have been mortified, but thankfully, no problems.

After practice we had about an hour to kill, so we went to the Public House and had a glass of Champagne to kick off what we both knew was going to be a great game, then back to our flag post and we waited until it was time to walk the flag into the stadium.  So thrilling to be entering the field from the Portwalk, so exciting to see some of the players still on the field warming up.  Taking pictures left and right of whatever I could until it was time to unfurl.  I can't even explain the pride, the joy and the uttermost coolness of this experience.   Of course, I easily reflected upon my dad, who I am sure was watching me from above and was no doubt so proud of his baby girl taking the family love of the Giants and the game of baseball to an entire new level!   Gosh, I wish he was still around, he would have loved to do this today.  He was there...

Once we were done returning the flag, we hustled to get into the game and got to our seats about 1/2 way through the bottom of the first inning and we were already up 1-0.  The Giants ended up winning 7-1 in grand style.  The stadium was filled with so much energy, I tear up with wonderful memories of two years ago and the World Series journey...feeling like it will happen again this year.

I am also really believing my gutt when it comes to the Giants.  The last game vs. Cincinnati I had posted on Facebook that I had a feeling we were going to have a big 5th inning and we did!  Buster Posey hit a friggin' Grand Slam HR!   Today I posted something similar before the 4th inning and low and behold we put 4 runs up on the board to take a 5-1 lead.  It's like I have this inter-planetary connection to the Giants.  :)

Well, it is time to get some Zzzzzz's.   Early morning and if I'm going to survive this week, sleep is key!   Some pictures to commemorate the wonderful day!

Linda & I waiting for our Flag Training to begin!
 My boy Brandon Crawford, warming up...I was so excited to be on the field that close to him!!
Wow- we're going to run with the flag any minute now!! 

Excited to be holding the flag!!

 I am right in the middle below..to the right of the Halo girl! :)  It was smart to be next to those Halo girls as we knew they would make it on camera!


No comments: