Saturday, June 09, 2012

Graduations, Anniversaries & Surgeries...oh MY!

This week has been absolutely OFF THE HOOK!    I am beyond exhausted- that seems to be a recurring theme that I write about, need to do something about that!    I have spent the last few days helping my brother move, it has been very emotional for all of us- so hard to pack up 25 years of your life!   I can only say that I have such a huge respect for my brother, he has been through so much yet still remains faithful and keeps on keepin' on.   So many people would just give up or turn to dark measures if they were in his shoes.   He has raised to wonderful young men...more on this later in the blog.   The other night while packing and wondering if it would ever get done, he had a sentimental moment and was so grateful for his two sons.   He is so proud of them and it just came shining through in our conversation.  I'm sure along with the move and all the emotions involved with that, the fact that his first born, eldest son graduated today from High School was also cause for sentiment.

Last night when we all made another trip to his house to pack up another load, close to the last load, the new owners were there to receive the keys.  The very ironic thing in all of this something that I just realized earlier this week is that the new owner is a gal I graduated with from Mercy High School.  In fact, I attended her first wedding in the 80's!  I had lost complete tough with her over the years and it was nice to see her and reunite, yet also bittersweet because although a "buyer" for my brother's house is not a bad thing- you do sort of feel like there is a victim and a villain in the situation.  Hard to really explain, but it was a bit awkward.  I mean it would be nice to get to know each other better again and perhaps do things socially- but it would be really weird to be invited to her house for dinner or a pool party!   Just strange the way the world turns!

Today was Michael's graduation and I teared up multiple times.  I am so proud of him and the man that he has become.  It has not been easy on him or his brother with all this moving and transition, but he keeps on, just like his dad.  In 19 years, I've only seen him lose his cool once and that was two weeks ago with all the pressure surrounding the family move.  He looked so grown up today and spiffy in his dress clothes.  As tired as we all were having dinner at 1am last night and ready for bed, "Uncle Bill" stayed up late enough to iron Michael's dress shirt and graduation gown.  Michael looked awesome and so nicely put together.   I got some great pictures of him- which thrilled me and afterwards when we caught up with him, I went to give him a congratulations hug and he really hugged back.  I've hugged him many times over the years for all sorts of holidays and events, but this hug back was different- it was the hug of a mature, grown up man.  Although the words were not spoken, I felt as though his hug said, "thank you for all you've done for me"- I just can't explain it any better than that- but really a very proud day for this Auntie.   And it didn't end there.  At lunch, my sister asked Michael if he wanted to go see his Grandmother at the hospital and he said he would- so she took him and he thought it would be a nice idea to give his Grammy his Graduation Flower Lei.  She was in tears at the "gift" and the fact that it was his idea just warms my heart.


Sunday is our Anniversary, 6 years married and 8 years together.  Time flies- although I feel as though I have been married to this wonderful man all my life!  He has been so supportive, so loving, so caring, so giving - I often times wonder what I did to deserve him and am so incredibly thankful to have him in my life, that he loves me and has chosen me for his life partner.  He's amazing.  We will be taking off to Napa Sunday morning, maybe Saturday afternoon if I can get the hotel to give us the Agent rate for Saturday night- a near impossible thing in a popular destination..but I will try, I'd love to get away for 2 nights and be able to really enjoy the resort.  We plan to get some pool time, work on the suntans, and then enjoy the Napa Valley Wine Train!   This will be a lot of fun; however, a bit overshadowed by the fact that we learned today that mom will have Surgery on Sunday!

Yes, surgery for mom.  They had tentatively scheduled her for the toe amputation on Wednesday and wanted to treat her with antibiotics until then and have surgery be the last resort.  However, the discharge people and medicare people won't allow her to stay until Wednesday with the treatment plan in place.  They feel it could be out-patient treatment, so given that it was a "miracle shot"- they decided to move the surgery up to Sunday and take care of the toe.  Her Doctor has been fabulous and wonderfully communicative.  In fact today's email from Dr. Gillon told me that "they" (she and my mom) do not want me anywhere near the hospital on Sunday, that I need to celebrate my Anniversary with my husband and that mom will be just fine.   I am trying to trust in this, with any surgery there is risk and with any surgery on an 83 year old there is even more risk - even on the healthiest of people!   But I will trust that it will all go fine and enjoy my time away- after all I have been ordered to do so by my mom and her Doctor!   I hope that this is it, that this surgery will go smoothly and that she adapts well and quickly to the 4 toed foot.  Today she was telling several jokes- all in an effort to keep herself laughing and she spoke of her mother when she had gall bladder surgery and how her mother had asked the Doctor if she could have a stone to keep and did keep one in a jar.  I just looked at my mom because I just knew where she was going with this...and then she laughed and said she wasn't going to ask the Doctor, but she thought her toe in a jar might be a good conversation piece!  Yes, she has officially "lost it"- but I get trying to make light of a very difficult situation.  She is still grieving not being able to ever wear sandals again, of course she has not worn sandals in 10+ years!  

June- WOW...can't believe we are 1/2 way through 2012!!  Where does the time go?

No comments: