Sunday, June 03, 2012

..and yet another setback!

I just wonder when my mom is going to catch a break!   Seriously, this health drama has gone on long enough.  I know she is frustrated, disgusted and tired of the bull!  Honestly, so am I!   You just don't realize how much of a toll all of this takes on you while you're going through it until you have a bit of a reprieve and then it hits you when you're back in the bull once again!    Mom had another setback on Saturday- she had issues with diarrhea Saturday early morning, then her blood pressure was very low- the nurses at Woodside Terrace monitored her and said that her blood pressure remained low.  They called me.  I was all the way out in Livermore and had to leave the girls day of fun early to take mom to the ER.  They did admit her, mainly because blood work showed some sort of infection, which we know she has the toe infection- still waiting to see if that is all she has; however, today they did confirm that she has C-Diff once again!  Really?  I have no idea how one can continue to catch this awful infection over and over again.  It's so unfair!   Of course, we know that long term antibiotic use is usually a trigger and she has been on them for a long time, if not one form, then another.   They are now treating her with the Vancomycin both orally for the stomach and IV for the foot.   Hopefully, we will have more news tomorrow when everyone works at the hospital and we can talk to Doctors.

She was looking so forward to this weekend, especially to today.  Her plans included going to church, then bingo at the Senior Center and then BBQ at our house for her Grandson's birthday.  She had to miss all of that- it's just really unfair.   Why do bad things happen to good people?   Why do good people have to suffer?   Of course, now she is so afraid that she won't ever be independent again if she is going to have this C-diff returning all the time.  How horrible for her...for all of us.  It's so hard to try to keep someone optimistic when even you have a hard time being optimistic.   Tomorrow I am going to bring her leftovers from the BBQ for lunch, she is looking forward to that.

Our weekend, otherwise was very fun and action packed.  So much that I am exhausted and plan to get to bed here in the next 30 minutes- tops!  Yes, before midnight!  I had no desire to get up and out of bed this morning and it was really a push to get moving and go shopping for BBQ needs!  I am blessed to have such a wonderful husband who helps with everything.  "Team Horst" as my friend Mary calls it.  We shopped together, at times splitting up in the store to save time and then he prepped food while I went to visit mom and bring her stuff, then once I returned we got the dining room table prepared and set for company.   He did most of the cooking with the help of our Brother-in-Law who is helplessly drawn to any Bar-B-Que, he just can't help himself.  He really is "grill master Bill"- but his name is Roger.  :)   My brother did his part at the end of the meal and served up the cake for his son and my sister did her part by making salads and cutting up the ribs.  A "TEAM" effort all the way through.

It was a very fun weekend with two great concerts Thursday and Friday nights.   Saturday fun Body Pump class with a full house, then Bocce Ball, wine, lunch and great gal pals in Livermore.  Bill had a fun "boys day" in SF with his buddy Joe at the Giants game with lunch before and dinner out after...very eventful!!  No wonder I'm tired!  

Looking ahead to a busy week, hopefully a productive week for work- much to get done and it's a short work week for me with Michael's graduation Friday and next week is a short week since Bill & I are taking Monday off for our Anniversary!  I absolutely LOVE how we really take time to celebrate our Anniversary- we make is a very special day- as it should be!  I can't even begin to say how excited I am to get away next weekend to Napa with him, even though it's just one night- we are going to have such a great time celebrating 6 years of marriage and 8 years of being together!   Looks like I won't need to take mom to her two Doctor appointments this week - sadly.  But there will be daily visits to the hospital to try to keep her spirits up.  Given the C-diff, I'm guessing she is there for at least a few days- and I hope that they make progress on her toe infection, enough to determine if they will be able to save it and honestly if they don't think they can save it, then maybe now is the time to take care of that so she can put all this medical crap behind her and get back to normal!  

So off I go, to bed- going to start this week off on the right foot with lots of rest!

No comments: