Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Bring on 2013 already!

I was chatting with my friend Elizabeth the other night and we have both had very trying 2012's already and were both feeling like we are ready for 2013.  I honestly do not know how it is already June.  It is just so crazy, but I find myself trying to visualize Thanksgiving and Christmas 2012 and what I am picturing is:  health for my entire family- that my mom's horrible and long health ordeal this year is over and she is back to enjoying life and living life, the my brother is able to get the surgery that he needs and can be out of pain that he's been dealing with for 6+ months.  Stability for my brother and his family- now having sold their house and have that behind them, that they will be able to rebuild a new life and get back on their feet.  He has great dreams and we will know soon how those dreams will unfold- much will depend on the outcome of the bankruptcy.  For now, he and his family will be living with us until he gets his money from the house sale and can move forward with his plan.   On one hand, this is a HUGE adjustment for Bill & I- we are so used to living alone and having full run of the house, but it has got to be so much worse for my brother and nephews to adjust to not having full run of a house.  Yes, they know that "mi casa, su casa"- but still it's just not the same.  I am hoping that we can have some fun with this, gosh I have not lived with my brother since I was 9 or 10 years old?  Ok- now that I put that on paper, I am officially scared!

Tonight when I went by Woodside Terrace to pick up a few things for my mom, Marguerite at the front desk said to me, "you are the glue in your family, aren't you?" - I probably talk too much about my life to people, but it is who I am.   But she is right, in many ways I am the glue and I do take care of things, it is my nature.  I am a fixer, I am a doer- we all have our roles in life.   So many people have said how much they "admire me" or that "I'm a bigger person than they are" or that "there is no way I could do what you're doing", but I honestly believe that we all have no idea what we are capable of doing until we are put into a situation of having to do it!  You just do it, when it comes to family there are no excuses you make it work.

Today was an insane day...up early, helped brother pack up the house- as much as we could, there is still much that needs to get done tomorrow.  Made two trips to my house with things that were coming here.  Picked up one nephew from school after his finals, had an appraiser come by my house and hopefully she will get a good value in so we can refinance.  Did a tiny bit of work and then out the door I went to go by mom's apartment, then to Kohl's to look (very quickly) for an outfit that Michael could wear tonight to the awards assembly.  The kid just didn't have anything between the suit and the cargo pants and I felt that he needed to be a bit more dressed up than that.  I got lucky and found some pants in his size and a shirt- he liked it and they fit!  After 20 minutes in Kohl's I was to the hospital for a "drive-by" to bring mom a few things and then back home for dinner, Bill ironed Michael's new clothes and we were off to the Awards Assembly.  That was the first time that I really sat down today!   Michael received two awards and it was a very nice event.

Mom had a pretty good day today- although she it not feeling warm and fuzzy about her Primary Care Physician.   But mom is standing firm that she wants to do what her specialist wants her to do- the PCP is new and doesn't have that relationship with mom that Dr. Gillon has.  Right now the plan is that they are giving her antibiotics through IV and orally to treat the toe and if there is no significant progress by 6/13- they will amputate the big toe.   Mom is adjusting to the idea and trusts Dr. Gillon impeccably.   We will see.  Dr. Gonzalez (PCP) was talking about sending mom home and having her come to the hospital everyday for injections, but mom doesn't want to leave the hospital.  Strange- usually Doctors don't push sending you home, it's usually the case workers/insurance companies that do that!

Anyway, really tired and must get up early tomorrow for an 8am meeting, will get some work done and will then probably help a good portion of the day with packing/moving etc.  Still a lot of crap that needs to get moved- it's 25 years of stuff, both personal and business- not easy at all!

I will continue to pray for things to get better for everyone and for this year to take a turn up and only positive things from here on out.  It is just a really emotionally draining year thus far and at this pace, I'm ready for 2013 in a big way!

No comments: