Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Starting to take care of me!

Things, I think are finally settling down with mom.  She is at Woodside Terrace and hopefully things will continue to get better for her.  The only gray area right now is her big toe- which is pretty nasty, the bone is exposed, she has a bone infection and we are waiting for culture results to determine the course of action.  Antibiotics are not ideal since she is prone to the C-diff infection, so it could be a long course of cleaning the wound out and getting the bacteria out manually so skin can grow over the bone  or amputate the toe.  Time will tell.   She has had her lonely, depressing moments at Woodside Terrace and yesterday even said that she really wanted a cigarette.  She says she's going to ask the Doctor if she can have 1-2 cigarettes a day.  I just about lost it and gave her an ear full!   Today she was better.  I've been doing her bandage changes and although the toe looks gross, I think it is looking better - but what do I know?   Nurse Horst is my new hobby!  

Tonight I went to play bingo with her at WT, I was the youngest person in the room, it was pretty funny to watch some of them and the interactions.  We didn't win, but I think mom had fun.  I thought I was going to be killed by these seniors when I accidentally knocked over my glass of water and they stopped calling numbers so I could clean it up.  Don't mess with bingo at the Senior Home!!   Mom says that tomorrow she is going to participate with the exercise classes, so I think that will be good for her to meet others who are active or want to be active.  She is making some friends, but she came from environments at skilled nursing and hospitals where people were poking their head into her room often, she now needs to poke her head out of her room more often.

Today I made a few more Doctor appointments for mom, I had my dentist cleaning this morning and not surprising, but they want me to consult with the periodontist.  Gum disease runs in the family and my mother, brother, sister have all gone through hell with their teeth/gums-waiting to find out when he will be in the office next.  Ugh.  Sounds like possibly pretty gross surgical procedures- I will need to be  seriously medicated for that!   I lined up an eye Doctor for mom, I need to get a referral from her Primary Doctor- and since we see her this week, I feel prepared.  Luckily, I found a Retina Specialist office in her medical group and she is eager to get to the eye doctor.  It has been months and she usually gets a shot in her eye every couple of months to keep her sight.   Hopefully, we can get her in the first week of June.

I did a small walk today, house to dentist, dentist to Woodside Terrace and WT to home.  less than 45 minutes total and my foot was really hurting.  It's extremely frustrating because I am ready to get back into my full workouts and this is holding me back.  I called today to finally have my follow up appointment regarding my inserts.  I hope it's something simple, I'm not ready to agree to foot surgery- so may have to get second opinions and perhaps see what the chiropractor can do.  Later tonight after my second Body Pump class, my ankle was really sore - yesterday after our massages the therapist had commented on how she thought my ankles was tight.  Maybe I will book another massage to help work things out.  I know that lunges did not help my foot- it seriously still hurts.  It is so true though that when your feet hurt, the rest of your body is toast!   So we'll see what happens Friday at the Doctor.

So today, I started logging my food on Weight Watchers again- it had been since March and I also logged in my Friday Weight- up 11 pounds from the last time I logged -back in February...guess considering all that I've been going through and the crazy driving all over, eating on the run, that's not too terrible, but I hate it!  So time to re-focus, re-commit and lose this weight.  Today I began measuring portions again.    I taught 2 Body Pump classes and walked 45 minutes- it felt good (other than the injuries) and I really need to continue this- so please foot/ankle don't fail me now!

I also signed up for Body Pump AIM 1 training- the Advanced Instructor Module is a full day of learning how to be a better instructor, getting expert advice and mentoring from the trainers - I'm excited.  I've wanted to do this for two years now, but the dates so few and far between never worked for me and my crazy schedule of life!   I am also thrilled that the training is on Body Pump 81- probably my favorite release in a long time and one that I feel I know VERY well, so getting ready for that day should be relatively easy- I can at least not over think choreography.  So another positive step in my Fitness Career.  I have some other steps in mind, but they are going to have to wait for now.

Life as I know it will be changing quite a bit next week.  My brother, his two teenagers and cat will be moving in with us temporarily (oh and three computers).  His house closes but because there is a bankruptcy involved, he doesn't get proceeds until at least 30 days after closing.  How does the government expect people to do this- I mean you're in bankruptcy for a reason, so now you're homeless and have to wait 30+ days to get money to move on--really annoying.  Anyway, Bill & I did major spring cleaning on our closets and drawars- I still have a bit more to complete, but we have 16 bags of donations that I need to bring in later this week.  Bill is such a trooper and an amazing support to me and my family.  I really struck GOLD with him, completely blessed.  Trying to figure out how to celebrate our Anniversary this year- since we will have a full house, I really want to get out of town and have some alone time- but also don't want to miss my classes- sort of hard to do this with a Saturday and Monday morning class.  Tahoe, Bodega Bay, Yosemite, Old Sacramento, Napa, Carmel- all places we're tossing around.   So this Memorial Day weekend- we will be helping my brother pack and move things into storage.  It would be fabulous if he gets his offer accepted for a new piece of land...we are waiting.

I really do feel like things are starting to turn around in all areas of my life with me and my family-I have been praying extra hard and seriously handing it over to God.  I know it's all in HIS time, HE has a plan and I just have to be patient and realize that there is nothing that I can do.  So now I should have gotten a ton of work done tonight, but just way too pooped, so I am going to get to bed and get up early.  At least that is what I am hoping to do.

No comments: