Friday, May 18, 2012

Nice Surprise...

Today was a very hectic day.  I got up early so that I could get some work in before heading to SF, I had a sneaking suspicion that once I left my office today it would be awhile before I returned.  Even in the best of circumstances, I was going to get back about 4pm and then have to leave again an hour later.  Well, it was much crazier.    Before I left my office though, Bill's sister had messaged me asking for my phone number because she was having something delivered to me and they would not take the order without the phone number.  I was intrigued, but didn't have time to ponder on this.

I left my house and didn't get back until 830pm!   Picked up mom, took her to get her hair cut in Belmont, then we had lunch- her 230pm Doctor appointment was moved to 3pm, so we didn't get done with that until almost 4pm.  I then had an urgent travel booking to finalize before taking mom back to SF.  Once she was dropped off close to 530pm, I ran by her house to pick up a few things and then headed back to Redwood City to meet my brother at Costco so he could purchase everything for Redeemer's Family Fun Day this weekend - an annual BBQ that he has organized and ran for years now.   Once we finished there, I then had stops at the bank, CVS, Lucky's and then Lucia's to pick up dinner!   Dinner was not ready- well the order never made it to the pizza maker, so I had to wait- which wasn't all bad, they treated me to a glass of wine for my inconvenience.   Quite the whirlwind day!

When I stopped home for the brief client moment, I had flowers that had been delivered to my next door neighbor with the nicest card,  "Just letting you know that a great daughter you are, wish there was more people like you.  Love Debbie and Stan"  ~ Bill's sister and her husband.  I had tears in my eyes.   You certainly don't do all the things that I have been doing for my mom to get recognition like that, but it was really a sweet thing and felt good to be validated in a way- that what I am doing is good.  Later along in my travels today I ran into my friend Dianne at Lucky's and in talking to her we were talking about things with my brother and she chimed in that "your brother is so lucky to have a sister like you".  Both unexpected, unsolicited comments/actions that made me feel very good and positive about life.  The bottom line- I have always been one to put family first and do whatever I can for my family.  It's just how we were raised. Period.  It really tugs at me when I can't help or don't have the answers or my best is not good enough.


Anyway, today was a good day.  As for mom and the infamous big toe - they have taken a culture of the bone so that they can determine the nature of the infection/bacteria and determine what treatment makes most sense.  They really don't want to treat with antibiotics due to the C-diff susceptibility.  They aren't rushing towards amputation either - so time will tell.   The Doctor seemed very pleased that i would be the one doing the dressing changes and she was all in favor of mom leaving the Jewish Home and moving back into Woodside Terrace - so tomorrow is release day.   Mom is very excited to get out of there- it's been a good place and she has been taken care of well- but it's not a lively place- there are a lot of people much worse off than she and she really is really to get on with life- which is a great sign!

TGIF...it's going to be a very busy weekend...!

No comments: