This has been a pretty crazy week- but then welcome to my life, when is my life not crazy?! Mom is doing well, she had two Doctor appointments yesterday to the Vascular Specialist and today to meet her new Primary Care Physician. The Vascular Specialist confirmed that mom's big toe infection is MRSA- which is a very stubborn bacterial infection. We are waiting for the Infectious Disease Specialist to determine the best way to treat the infection. The good news however, the Doctor was very pleased with progress on the toe - I received a huge compliment from the Doctor and she said she had no doubt that the progress on the toe was due to family taking care of the dressing changes. It makes my 1-2 visits per day all worth it if we can see positive progress and have mom keep her big toe! She is in a lot of pain though and the Doctor is still adamant about her not taking any more narcotic pain medication. So mom is self-medicating with a second glass of wine before bed! Today the Primary Care Doctor suggested that mom cut back on the wine so that she won't damage her heart lining anymore than it already is. Mom's reaction to that, "I'm at peace and ready to die whenever and until that happens, I am enjoying my wine". Poor Doctor, she got the wrath of Pat - but she understood too. Mom has had to give up so much these past few months. It really can't be easy on her, but she is adjusting. Her biggest complaint about WT is that all the people are old and dying and not interesting. She doesn't associate herself with these people, you gotta love that. But I do get it, there are some who are just "blah" for lack of a more intelligent word. But she is meeting some people who are more interesting and she plans to get out to some local coffee shops so that she can become a "local". She also wants to check out the local Catholic Church, I'd love for her to get involved with Redeemer so we can introduce her to some of the older Parishioners there, but I don't think she's ready to convert yet. :)
Yesterday was her 83rd birthday! A day that at times this year, I really thought she would not be with us to celebrate. It was nice to celebrate. We took her out to dinner to our local favorite Italian Place with my brother and nephews - we all had a good meal and afterwards the staff came out with her birthday cake and the two candles and the entire restaurant sang "Happy Birthday" to her, she was in tears. It was a very emotional night and we all sort of teared up when my brother arrived and had a bouquet of carnations from his yard. He has always loved Carnations and has had these plants in his yard for decades. His attitude was, "I'm not going to leave them for the new owners" and I don't blame him. But the flowers are a sad reminder of the house that is not his anymore, well as soon as escrow closes next week. I know that my mom went to bed crying last night, crying for her one and only son who is dealing with such hard times, who really has had tough times for the last 7 years - it's just not fair. I find myself asking often, "why do bad things happen to good people?" - is it because they can handle it? I just don't know. Then I think of "Thing One" & "Thing Two" - the two people who have been very instrumental in putting him in this screwed place and am just dumbfounded. "Thing One"- ultimately she's not a bad person, she's sick and I think she definitely has her own hell to live with. But, "Thing Two"- she is just pure evil and I don't care how "hard" her life seems to everyone that she cries "poor me" to, it is all an act. She is a great actress & plays the victim role well. I have come to my own place of peace about both of these women...it's time to move on for all of us. No time for negativity or drama in my life.
I had a self-indulgent morning today- I layed in bed for an hour and read my book- I can't even begin to remember when I last did something like that. It was wonderful, in fact I am almost done with my book and am tempted to crawl into bed and read some more now- of course hard to do with Bill sleeping and the lighting in the bedroom at night is not conducive to reading in bed!
TGIF! Technically, it is midnight and a new day!
No comments:
Post a Comment