Tuesday, June 09, 2026

Wedding Day: June 10, 2006

 


20 years ago, I wrote this "note" on "My Space"- remember that- the first of Social Media Platforms, well when I knew I was not going to stick around on My Space, so I had copied this onto Facebook "notes" and then FB discontinued "notes"- so I cut/pasted anything important into a Word Document.  Can't hurt to have this documented in other places just in case!!  

So on this eve of our 20th Wedding Anniversary....here is the re-cap of the most magical of Wedding Days! 


Tuesday, July 11, 2006 

http://x.myspace.com/images/spacer.gif

Wedding Day
Current mood: http://x.myspacecdn.com/images/blog/moods/iBrads/love.gif loved
Category: Romance and Relationships

Well, this is taking me a lot longer to get to this-I have officially been married for just over one month!  ;)  I am extremely happy and really want to re-cap the wedding day events-if for no other reason to keep the memory alive.

June 10, 2006-Bill and I woke up around 8am, ordered room service breakfast and then after a few pictures and last kisses as "fiance's" we parted ways for a few hours.  My two maid/matron of honors (Lisa & Sherry) and I were off to the salon for hair and make-up, I was very relaxed- but quiet, which for me is not common, and oddly enough I was very quiet the day of my first wedding at the salon.  I guess the last few hours of calm before the storm, but this was a different type of calmness the second time around.  A calmness of knowing I was exactly where I needed to be in my life and that I was about to marry the perfect partner, companion and love for my life.

According to plan, Lisa & Sherry were back at the room before me, getting dressed and fine tuning make-up, and then I returned back to the room at 1145am- as planned.  I didn't have much to do other than get dressed, so I just took my time- my girls were so helpful and attentive, making sure I was getting my shoes on right, that the dress was hanging correctly, making sure I wasn't shining from the sweat on my brows! ;)  1215 or so, almost ready and I ask "what time is it"- Lisa replies "you don't want to know" (nobody would let me wear a watch)--well needless to say, it was time to take the elevator down to the chapel for my 1220p schedule.  My emotions were getting the best of me all morning and my eyes would tear up from time to time, as we rode the elevator, deep breathing was helpful--then we arrive to the chapel level and get out and I was not prepared to see all of the guests outside in the lobby area-- thought they would all be in the chapel already--so that was a blow and made it hard to keep my emotions in check, I was so on the verge of tearing all morning-- Sherry and Lisa safely whisked me to the "bridal room"- helped me freshen up, put kleenex in my arm pits cuz I was already sweating--think that was probably from the shot of tequila before we left the room (thanks Sherry!). ;)

Wedding planner comes in to check on us, photographer comes in to review his job and then minister- "you ready Pam"- Hell yeah!  So my girls leave me alone in my bridal waiting room as I try to wait patiently-- I hear the first song "drifting" from one of my yoga cd's - my groom, his best man, and remainder of the bridal party were all walking into that song, I kept trying to sneak a peek from the room, but Sherry caught me-- gave me that look to "go back into my room"-- she is very maternal! (love you)

Wedding Planner comes and gets me--my dear friend Diane is still outside the chapel as she needed to make sure her daughter Brynn did her flower girl duty.  I could barely talk to her, the emotions were just so strong as "our/my" song started to play- "Keeper of the Stars", that was my "bridal march" and I started to walk into the chapel and thanks to the photographer for reminding me to breathe!    Each smile that I saw as I walked into the chapel brought me one place closer to tears welling up in my eyes.  I could just feel so much happiness in the room, all these people so happy for Bill and I and the love that we found with each other.  It was an amazing feeling to know how loved we were by all these people.  People who took the time to travel to Lake Tahoe to share in our wedding weekend.  It was really special.

I kept my eyes on my destination- Bill's waiting arm and noticed his eyes to be a bit blurry also and I was apparently shaking when I arrived (so he says)- but the video does clearly show my chest beating at a very quick pace- good thing I didn't hyper-ventilate.:D  All kidding aside, the minister asked if we were ready and he proceeded to go through our ceremony- it was very beautiful, covered exactly what it needed to, my sister did a beautiful reading on marriage:

excerpt from The Art of a Good Marriage, by Wilferd Arlan Peterson

"A good marriage must be created.
In marriage the "little" things are the big things.
It is never being too old to hold hands.
It is remembering to say, I love you" at least once a day.
It is never going to sleep angry.
It is having a mutual sense of values, and common objectives.
It is standing together and facing the world.
It is forming a circle that gathers in the whole family.
It is speaking words of appreciation, and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.
It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.
It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.
It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.
It is not only marrying the right person -- it is being the right partner."

We exchanged our vows, rings and then lit our unity candle.  The minister then finished up with a reading that was indigenous to the founds of Lake Tahoe and it was a very beautiful reading, bringing new meaning to the beautiful place on the Lake.  We were then announced at Mr & Mrs Horst - and walked out of the chapel to "Feels Like Love" by Vince Gill with smiles from ear to ear and still those teary eyes- neither of us really cried, but we were on the verge and thanks to Morgan (surrogate niece) for the tissues that she gave us during the ceremony. 

Chapel Pictures with wedding party and then family pictures outside the chapel in the ballroom lounge area, then the party was ready to begin for the guests- they were all escorted upstairs to the reception location.  What I learned later is that my two nephews insisted that they go up first because they wanted to make sure everyone found their seats properly.  (earlier in the day, my nephews along with my sister and her husband went to the reception location and put out place cards, favors, disposable cameras and just made sure everything else was in order.  It was well worth their payment in extra chocolate bar favors that they snatched-15 in total oink oink) :) :)  But I though it was very sweet that they wanted to take their job one step further and make sure everyone found their tables.  Someone has raised those boys right!

We took a few more couple pictures around the hotel and then to the reception we were, the DJ announced the wedding party playing "Difference between living and living well" by George Strait and when we were introduced the words used were: "Two-stepping their way into a new life, the dance begins for a husband and wife.  Introducing Pam & Bill Horst" -- and "Forever and For Always" by Shania Train started to play and we entered with our first two-step dance as a married couple.  Dancing is how our relationship all began, so it was only fitting that we start the party with a dance.  It was a little shaky in the wedding shoes (not my boots)- but after a few times around with basic, I gave Bill the ok to do tricks! :)  We had a good time, ended with a photographic dip and then started to mingle with the guests and make our way around the tables.

We got a chance to visit with some before lunch and then my matron of honor said Grace before we started the buffet.  After lunch, we exited for a few outside pictures and then returned to visit with more tables and do some dancing.  The afternoon flew by, but we managed to spend time with everyone, managed to get in several dances, we did the traditional things- cake cutting to "Love will keep us alive" by the Eagles, the bouquet toss to "This one's for the girls" by Martina McBride, the garter toss to "Getcha Some" by Toby Keith.  Our traditional first dance was "Amazed" by Lonestar and the wedding party joined us for "I can't help falling in love" by Elvis Presley

Toasts, started with the Best Man toast, well I know he (my brother) had good intentions, but he did make an inappropriate toast considering my ex-husband (who is now a good friend) was there--there were references made to "finally finding the right man" etc etc and how "dad would be proud of this one"- Bill and I were actually very embarrased and felt very badly for my ex, who took it like a trooper.  We did speak to him afterwards and he understood, not that it felt any better--but we reassured him that we were happy he was there for us.

Toasts were then made by Sherry and Lisa- both wonderful friends who made heart felt loving speeches, while trying to keep emotions in check. :)  Then the mic was opened up to the guests and my friends Diane, Brynn (flower girl), Diana and Denise all made toasts and it was very emotional to hear the pouring out of friendship and love from these ladies (even 3 year old Brynn with her 'congratulations Aunty Pammie and Uncle Bill- Yee Haw') Afterwards, Bill took the mic and thanked everyone for attending and pointed out the distances traveled by my relatives in CT and his family from AZ, then the mic was mine.  I tried to keep the tears from flowing, but they were there and I thanked everyone and told them all that each and everyone of them was special to us and that they were all included in our special day because we love them and value their place in our lives.  Then a "cheers" "salute" "let's dance and have fun" toast and we finished off the afternoon with more dancing, mingling, and lots of fun fun fun!!!

Our final dance was to "Love of My Life" by Sammy Kershaw and then poof 515pm- it was over. :(  But we didn't have much time to spare before it was time to meet the bus that was picking us and 25 of our guests up for a boat cruise along the Lake.

We enjoyed a dinner sunset dance cruise along the lake and had a great time- good music, good food, good dancing, good friends- we had fun!  BAck to the hotel around 1030pm- and met up with some other friends in the casino and did some more dancing at the casino bar (the DJ at the casino bar was also the photographer trainee who attended our wedding earlier in the day- small world)- then 1am or so, we were tuckered out and finally made it back to our room--day over - but it was a wonderful day!!!

I would do it all over again and I would not change a thing- everything went according to plans, we started on time (which amazed me)- no tripping, no falling down, it was just perfect!!! Now I get to live out the rest of my life with this fabulous man and I hope we both live long long lives!!!

 


No comments: