Sunday, May 12, 2013

Where do I even begin?

I really must set aside time to journal at least once a week because here we are a month between posts and I know that I am going to have a hard time keeping these thoughts coherent...eeeks.  Life has been BUSY.  Life has been CRAZY.  Time is flying by faster than the speed of light- I'm almost feeling a little anxious about this.  I mean really the time flies by so fast that I'm starting to look at milestones- 30th High School Reunion,  Close friends beginning their 50's,  Siblings beginning their 60's and then hearing so often about people you know directly or indirectly passing at these ages or dealing with life threatening diseases or challenges - it's just all a bit too "real" and quite scary.  I suppose it's a message to just live life to its fullest because you just never know what tomorrow will bring.

I'll start with mom, her rehabilitation at Lytton Gardens is going well.  We met with her orthopedic Doctor two weeks ago and they took a new x-ray.  Shoulder is healing and they cleared her to do some exercises with her left arm.  She loves therapy, loves doing her exercises and loves her therapists.  Stacy & Mark get two thumbs up and I think they both enjoy my mom and her chatty-ness.   She has made several friends with the staff at Lytton Gardens, it's funny how so many of them remembered her from her October stay there and one of the workers even remembered me in the elevator the other day.  He says to me, "I remember you visiting your mom, you're a big Giants fan" :)  I remembered him too and we chatted about our favorite baseball team!    I've had several of the nursing staff comment about how my mom is so lovely, so nice, so friendly, etc.  Her attitude has stayed positive most of the time.  She has had a roommate for a few weeks that she didn't care for, but she has left and now has another roommate who is much more conversational- which I think is the key point.  We go again this week for another x-ray and if what the Doctor is hoping for proves to be correct, she should be cleared for weight bearing on the left arm, which means she can get back to her walked and presumably get back to Woodside Terrace maybe within the week.  Two things she still has a bit of trouble with- taking her shirt off at night and tying her shoelaces.  So we'll see how Tuesday goes at the Doctor office.    Her leg/ankle wounds are looking pretty good- the ankle still has some scabbing, but it looks very dry- so I'm not worried about it.  If all is going well with Dr Gillon and her back surgery recovery - we have an appointment with her at the end of the month.

We had a lovely Mother's Day today- initially my sister was going to host but since mom couldn't be gone from Lytton Gardens for more than 4 hours, we relocated to our house and it all worked out well.  Given all of the driving I'm doing each day back and forth to Palo Alto to see mom and bring her whatever she needs, it was nice to not have to get on the road today- other than to go pick her up.  My sister took her home, which allowed me to really relax after clean up.  The day was put on jointly by everyone.  I love when you can "host" and not feel exhausted afterwards.  My darling hubs and brother cleaned the patio, killed the annual wasp nests, brought out the cushions so that we could dine al fresco.  Weather was gorgeous.    My sister brought dessert from Nothing Bundt Cakes and it was delicious, she also made a caprese salad and brought a bottle of wine from her Mediterranean Cruise.  My brother picked up the Ice Cream.  I'm actually getting better at allocating tasks.  When I was shopping at Safeway for the food on Friday I was about to get ice cream, realized that it would be better to have Baskin Robbins and instead of going there myself, I just asked my brother to do this.  So proud of myself.  I'm finally learning that I will do it all and people will allow me to do it all, unless I put my foot down and delegate.

The past month has been pretty full with social engagements.  Bruce's 50th birthday bash, Jonathan's birthday party,  Morgan's 18th birthday,  Scotty's birthday.  Brynn's play which was followed by a fun night in the McClymond back yard enjoying beautiful weather and great food with the best of friends.  Lady A concert "date night" with Bill,   "Knight Moves" dance concert at Hillsdale HS- finally after years of wanting to see what a great show this has been, finally got to experience it.  Great show.  Lots of business social engagements- ship tours, vendor meetings, webinars....and let's not forget going to a few Giants games and watching several others on the TV.  They are showing great promise and my favorite MLB commercial this year is where they pose the phrase, "I play for..." and then a variety of players  fill in the blank.  Buster Posey is on the commercial and he fills in the sentence with "3 rings in 4 years"- Hell Yeah!  

As busy as this past month has been, it's about to get much crazier in the coming weeks...a packed two days of work this week, but also have two classes to teach, chiro appt, massage appt, nail appt, mom's Dr appt, trip to Costco to buy goods for Redeemer family fun day, pack and be at the airport by 530am on Wednesday!  Oh fun, I think I am planning on pulling an all nighter Tuesday- I mean heck if I go to bed at 2am, will I really sleep for 2.5 hours?   I just know me and my habits.  Two days on the Celebrity Solstice will be a tease, but I'm looking forward to seeing the ship, having one day of being out of touch - no phone, no email, no technology.  Just the ocean, my hubby and 3000 of my closest TA colleagues.  Come home and hit the ground running with a Mega Fitness Day - starting at the YMCA for a Master Class with the fabulous Susan Renata and preview of Body Pump 86 (have not even received the release in the mail yet), then a technique refresher afterwards.  BBQ at an instructors house with Susan attending as well.  Then it's hop over to Crunch for a workshop with fellow Spin instructors, followed by an instructor social.  Looking forward to it.   Sunday- can't wait to see my friend Kelly perform in The Wizard of Oz, she is the Wicked Witch and I just know she's going to be excellent!   Then to finish up the month...a few more Giants games (can't wait for Pixar at the Park), Morgan's High School graduation (so honored that she gets enough tickets so that I can attend), final preps for mom's garage/estate sale (getting her house cleaned up and ready for the next move- ultimately to sell), the college kid returns home for the summer (YAY!) and then we finish the month with younger nephews 18th birthday!   See, I am getting old- how can this be happening?

College kid is doing so well at RIT, he is loving his studies, is doing very well in his classes.  Loves working on thesis projects and he was just awarded a $5000 scholarship for next year- so very proud of Michael and the success of his Freshman year.  The summer is going to fly by and he is already talking about maybe not coming home next summer and also realizing that he needs a car back there and is probably going to ship his truck back to school.  We'll see if he loves the east coast during the summer when it's ridiculously hot and HUMID.  He is not a hot weather kid and has actually started to complain a bit about the May weather...HA!  This should be fun to see the change in attitude.  I always knew that snowy winters would not bother him.

Fitness World...been busy subbing classes and really enjoying my classes.  I love all of my classes, but my Body Pump crew in Mt View really has a special place in my heart.  I've had so many wonderful compliments and people who have taken such an interest in me and my life- I feel as though we are friends, we are family beyond the actual class.  I have gotten back to tracking my food on Weight Watchers once again and am trying to stay on track.  Pretty much eliminating alcohol outside of weekends.  Keeping the drinking to 2 times per week- which typically will be over the weekends.  So far I've lost 3 pounds and I just need to keep it going.  I have yet to add in more of my own workouts- I need to and have plans to do this- but I also know that I need to find balance with my schedule first.  I think if I can start to get to bed earlier and get up earlier I will be more successful at getting my own workouts in before the work day gets too crazy.  I would like to take on another Les Mills format.  Gold's is going to be getting Body Combat and I am considering going through the training.  I would love for Gold's to get Body Flow...we'll see, I know they are not looking for another format quite so soon...but perhaps.

Starting the refinance process this week.  Our appraisal came in favorably- so moving ahead with the mounds of paperwork that is involved.  It's so much more when you're in business for yourself- so speaking of which, I suppose I must get up to my desk and start scanning because that is due tomorrow!

Overall, feeling blessed and just wishing that time would slow down a bit.

No comments: