Annoyed, irritated, frustrated, sad...
How can Palm Springs bliss have been just yesterday and then today- UGH! Aside from today being a crazy day with lots of work to catch up on, which was expected- I also had to take mom to buy her antibiotics, a break in my day that I needed to take but really didn't have time to take. Add to that I have to go back tomorrow and pick up the remaining pills because they were out of inventory. Just not the sorts of things I need to add to my already crazy short week. Of course, whenever I step away from my office anywhere near the end of the day, I lose all focus and motivation so I have gotten zero done this evening.
I'm frustrated because I have injured my right ankle/leg, I took a stretched step off the escalator at SFO last night and I heard a snap/pop and felt a shooting pain up my leg immediately. Tried to walk it off. I'm sure I pulled a muscle or ligament. Well, have been RICEing it off and on last night, today and tonight and although the swelling is minimal now, it still hurts. I got a sub for my class tonight- I probably could have taught without much trouble, but didn't want to risk anything with the BIG Vegas Les Mills Q weekend. I just hope that I will be feeling better come Friday so that I can participate in the AIM workshop and praying that I don't get lunges or squats - I think I can do any of the other tracks with minimal pressure on my ankle. But I am also frustrated because tonight was going to be my live run through of Body Pump 84 to practice the release that we'll be using for AIM. I guess I'll be doing a dry run Thursday night in my hotel room.
I'm irritated because I spent hours working on a huge incentive trip for a client while away in Palm Springs only to have gotten undercut by the hotel and that just PISSES me off! There is no way in hell that the hotel should be quoting the client a better rate (almost 50% lower) than what they quote to me- it's bad business and I can seriously say there are a few Vegas hotels that I won't be selling EVER again. Dis me once shame on you, Dis me twice shame on me. Tomorrow is decision time, so we'll see what the client goes for- if it's not Vegas, then I have good rates at local properties that they will likely take. But this sort of crap just makes me want to hang up my travel hat. I never would, but I'm allowed to have a moment.
I'm sad because tonight I missed a phone call and when I retrieved the message it was from the sister of a friend. Her message asked me to call her when I get into the office tomorrow and that I could call on her cell phone or her sister's home phone. I could just hear something in her voice and as soon as I googled my friend's name- I discovered that she passed away on Sunday. Margie was my first "travel friend". When I first came to work at June Jackson Travel in August of 1990, Margie and I were at the two front line desks. She mentored me, coached me, encouraged me and praised me. She was one of the first people in the industry to tell me that I was going to be an awesome Travel Agent. We were close, heck we spent a lot of our time alone in the office just the two of us as we were the two full time employees and management came and went as they pleased. We shared similarities of losing our fathers when they were way too young, our moms were very similar. In fact, I think the last time I saw Margie was at her mom's funeral several years ago. We have not had our "June Jackson Travel" holiday reunion with her present in probably 4-5 years. She gave me a bridal shower for my first marriage and I still have the Mickey & Minnie wedding figurine that she gave as a gift. Even though the first marriage didn't last, Mickey & Minnie forever! When it was time for me to move on to a new employer, Margie & I had a pact- we were both down with our current situation and she could have left at anytime, but I was the "starving student" so to speak and couldn't leave until I had a job in place that was waiting for me. So Margie did not leave until I was ready to leave. Once I had that set up, we both left at the same time and ended up once again at the same agency where she was full time and I was an outside agent...starting to explore my independence and my entrepreneurship. I knew even then that at some point I wanted to own my agency some day. Margie & I shared a lot of laughs and some tears, we shared a love for the furry children and she was always there for her friends. I missed her when she moved to Medford, Oregon and have not seen her for years, so I am even sadder that I didn't cease the moment to call her the times that I had been thinking of her recently. 63 is way too young for someone to go, I know this first-hand with losing my dad when he was only 60.
So as much as I have been annoyed, frustrated and irritated today-- the sadness of this evening trumps everything else. I will talk to Margie's sister tomorrow, but I suspect that damn C disease took her. Margie had battled Cancer about 5-7 years ago and won at the time...I'm guessing not this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment