Friday, February 01, 2013

Warmly Welcomed...

I was super early for my new 730am spin class this morning at the Y, sort of got lost.  I was convinced I knew exactly where I was going but got a bit confused between Embarcadero Road &Oregon Expressway.  Once I realized I was going too far without seeing the street to turn, I frantically pulled out the GPS and still arrived with 15 minutes to spare.

A fellow instructor, Janet who I already know showed me the ropes with the stereo, microphone, etc. and let me know that the 730am cycle crowd is a very nice, easy-going, sometimes older population of people and even introduced me to a few of the members.  Got the music started and we were off!    Of course, still needed to learn a few things like where the fans and A/C are controlled, but the members were very nice in letting me know.    Janet warned that it is usually a small class, between 5-10 people at that hour - her Body Pump class that preceded was about the same.  I had 7 people total and they were all very gracious and thankful after class, complimented me on music and reconfirming that I will be there every week.  I think my suspicions were correct that they would be very happy to have consistency in that time slot - maybe now I can build those numbers.   I love a challenge.  It was a great class and it felt good to take ownership of a cycle class once again.

The best part, however, was after class.  I was in the Ladies room and a member who was not in my class approached me and said she noticed I was teaching cycle and wanted to know if I would be there every week.  She went onto say that she remembered taking Body Pump with me and thought I was the best instructor she had ever had!   OMG- what a compliment and even more mind-blowing was that I only subbed at this facility ONCE and it was months ago, I couldn't even tell you how long ago- but she remembered me.   She just couldn't say enough nice things and she seemed excited to come take a cycle class with me in the coming weeks.

So right now, I'd say that I'm a good fit with the Palo Alto Family YMCA.  It's funny, the Y is notorious for being the lowest pay in the business- but the truth be told, I'm not in it for the money.  I have a Travel Business to financially support myself.   My Fitness Career supports me in so many other ways, ways that are far greater than any paycheck.  

No comments: