Friday, July 27, 2012

Ay Carumba!!!

What a couple of crazy weeks it has been.  I'm feeling very overwhelmed- the typical overwhelming feeling that always precedes a vacation.  I'm so happy that I got a jump start and prepaid all the bills last weekend in anticipation- guess I am learning something!    Hoping that I can get a lot done tomorrow because this weekend is filled with fun, birthday celebrations!   Planning on dancing Friday night and then Saturday after my Body Pump class it's time to get ready for Brooklyn's 2nd Birthday Party- I have an appetizer to make, a cake to pick up and balloons.  We plan to get there about an hour early so that the appetizer can bake and we can put up some of the decorations.   Brooklyn's mommy has been overwhelmed with getting everything in order for vacation as well, so I jumped in to help on the party front!   Sunday is my brother's birthday and we will have a day at the yard and hopefully the Giants will deliver on a Dodger-kicking WIN, in fact it would be wonderful if Sunday was a "Sweep"!   One game at a time.  Let's go Giants.  I have got such a good feeling about this season!  Chills.

My elbow is MUCH better and I taught almost a normal load on Tuesday night and it did not flare up.  Still seeing the Chiropractor and getting my laser treatments, seems to be helping.  I am pretty stoked that I will have 12 days off of teaching.  I will miss it, but I think it's just what I need to fully recover - it's going to hurt like heck to get back into the groove.  I plan to swim everyday on vacation, I need to make sure I do something.  This won't be a dancing vacation and it will probably be too hot to go for walks- and of course my foot is not so agreeable to that.  Still need to set up the Physical Therapy and I will focus on that when I get back from vacation.

I am really looking forward to the down time in Cabo.  Fun times with the best of friends.  We have vacationed with Diane & Mike and we have vacationed with Janet & previous boyfriend, but never with both of my adopted sisters!   It's going to be a blast and I can't wait!   Scott is such a great fit with the family and all of the kids get along, it's really going to be a wonderful time.   It will do me some good to get away from my blood family.  The house situation is going pretty well, but it will just be nice for Bill & I to have our own space for a week with a beautiful ocean view.

While we are gone, my brother will have his surgery and it's time for his kids to take care of him.  I just hope and pray that they have taken notes of how I've taken care of my mom these past months so that they step up to the plate and help to take care of their dad so that he can fully recover.   After lots of investigation and some wonderful, compassionate medical professionals- my brother will be able to have this surgery for approximately $4K out the door.  Very crazy when you consider that the friggin' insurance companies wanted him to have tests that would have cost him $2k+ in order to get insurance and then he would have paid close to $4K in one year to be insured.  There is definitely a lot wrong with our health care system- or as I have called it the health "uncare" system.   In any case, I am very happy that he will finally be able to get this done and get back to feeling well and able to focus on his work afterwards.  Things are going to start looking up for him and this is the start.  

My mom is doing pretty well on the recovery front.  She has gotten out of her slipper and is now wearing a real shoe on the amputated toe foot.   Her leg is still swollen a bit, but it is getting better and this is normal for post-surgery.  She still has a bit of cellulitis on her leg and ankle and today Dr. Gillon was a bit concerned with the sore on the ankle..it is getting dangerously close to exposing the bone, which would not be good - I don't even want to say it, but that could lead to a full foot amputation.  For now, we are going to try to keep it clean and dry so that it can heal.   Mom is depressed and not super happy at her new home.  She is bored, she doesn't feel like she belongs there and this is very hard for me to deal with.  I am sort of out of understanding and out of compassion at this point.   Today I discovered that she has smoked recently- not sure how much, I'd have to guess somewhere between 1-5 cigarettes.  Seemed she bummed a smoke off of a worker in the parking lot at Woodside Terrace.  I will definitely be complaining about this because these people should not be smoking on the property at all, it's a smoke free environment.   I gave her HELL about this.  I just don't get it.   she did take a walk across the street to 7-11 twice this past week. She was oh so proud of herself and I am proud that she got out, that she walked across the street.   She has lost so much that I just hope & pray that she doesn't self destruct.  

I have suggested that she get some therapy, but of course she says she doesn't need it.  I really don't know what to do.  I did tell her that if her actions of abuse put her back in the hospital that I was done, someone else would have to take care of her and visit her and do everything for her.  I've done all that I'm going to do for someone who puts them self into that condition.  Of course, easier said than done, but I am hoping that I scared her enough that she realizes what is important.   I have to just toss up my hands and hope and pray for the best.  I just don't get it though, I realize smoking is an addiction and most people have to hit rock bottom before they decide to change their ways.   Seriously, has she not hit rock bottom this year?   With all she's been through, how is that not motivation enough to do the right thing to stay out of hospitals, to stay away from pain, to stay away from future circulation issues and medical problems.   I told her tonight that she should think really hard about her "friend" (cigarette) and to remember that this "friend" will introduce her to another friend that will never leave (the tank of oxygen) that she'll have to keep by her side forever if she continues to smoke.  I hope that I put the fear into her.    Hoping the Dr Gillon will also scare her about the potential loss of limb if she smokes.

Additional stress- trying to sell mom's car.  The first person interested decided the car was too small and I'm waiting on two others to let me know their thoughts.  If no bites from them, I will advertise on Craigs List when we return from Mexico.  No point in doing this now before we go.  Then need to figure out the house.  We might actually have two interested parties to rent, but need to figure out the timeline of getting the house cleaned out and sell what furniture that we can, get rid of the piano and then decide if we are going to rent or sell.   Yikes, too much going on, too too much!    I've had three people mumble the word "Christmas" in the last week and I'm about to reply "Bah Humbug" because I really can't think about it, but I did buy 3 gifts online today!

No comments: