Thankfulness...and random thoughts: weight loss, fitness, love, divorce, death - this is a loaded entry!
Well I had started a blog entry on the return flight from Cancun, but never got back to it...so starting over. In a nutshell, we had a great time in Cancun. It was a trip that was all about great friends, fun people and sunshine. My type of vacation. Although, not exactly the Weight Watchers type of vacation ~ oh well. I am living my life and there are going to be times when Weight Watchers just does not fit into the plan. The key is how I rebound. Well, I went from a week in Cancun with very little activity (yes, we did walk into town twice- about 2 miles each time, leisurely and we did dance a little bit 2-3 times during the week) to being back and having taught 5 classes in the last 3 days. That is a good rebound. I wanted to go dancing tonight, but I was just exhausted - which of course makes no sense to me now as I sit up here at 1235am blogging. If I was that exhausted, why was I not in bed 3 hours ago? But my body is physically exhausted and achy. 3 spin classes and 2 Body Pumps and having not done either of these in 10 days, it's almost like starting over again - OUCH! I have been logging all of my food since returning and I won't truly be back on program until this Friday when my point bank resets. Since I go Friday-Friday, I really could not figure out my points for the last two days in Cancun. I have been "bored" with food choices since being home, am I spoiled from having rib-eyes, burgers, bacon/eggs, etc. on vacation? Whatever it is, I need to regroup because I have just been wanting all of the "off limit" foods this week.
So I may bitch a bit about the weight loss journey and my frustrations. But to be positive about it all, I got on the scale the day after we got back and yes I did gain 3 pounds, but am pretty certain that it'll be off by the time I weigh in officially on Friday- well I hope, might be tough with Thanksgiving. But the following Friday should be "game on!" But the bottom line, it feels good to be back moving around and teaching classes after a week off. I dug out some old releases for Body Pump and picked some tracks that were particularly challenging, ones that I might have avoided a year ago - so I know that I have made progress. I have Body Pump 80 in my hands now, so time to learn the new release for launch in January! Hard to believe this program is turning 20 years old! Almost legal..
Eating is going to be a challenge for the rest of the year. Seriously, it's Thanksgiving which is a feast and also the family Birthday celebration. I get to have my favorite Baskin Robbins Ice Cream cake...Yum! I'll have my one slice and because that doesn't travel well, any leftovers will remain at my sister's house! We are eating early so that we can watch the 49er game and I think that this will be a positive thing. Less time to snack on chips/dip, etc. before the meal and we'll be able to wait awhile- I'm thinking half time to let the family sing "Happy Birthday" to me and have cake! I really want to get in a work out, but I just don't see it happening. Church at 9am, by the time I get home and need to leave at 1130am to pick up mom on the way to get to Walnut Creek by 1pm - pretty much impossible I think. So I will rest. Eight classes this week in 6 days is nothing to sneeze at. We will go dancing Friday night for sure and maybe Saturday. The remaining weeks of the year have a minimum of one party/gathering per week with most weeks having at least two. So it is going to be a challenge!
So onto Thankfulness. Seems this time of year everyone is more consciously aware of being thankful for things, but we really need to be thankful year round..and maybe most people are and they just use this one day to vocalize it. I am feeling very thankful for my life. I have a great, supportive family with the most amazing husband. I can't even imagine my life without Bill. I have the best friends. I am having a GNO birthday celebration on Monday night that Pam Tyson arranged and I am so excited that 10 ladies have replied that they will be there. Only two could not make it- that's pretty incredible. I have dinner planned Friday night with BFF Janet and her beau Scotty, we have not really had any one on one time with them since they because a couple back in August, so I am looking forward to that for sure! I have two wonderful careers that enrich my life and I get to travel multiple times per year. I am very lucky and fortunate. However, while my life is great- I have a heavy heart this week for multiple reasons.
While in Mexico a very good friend texted me that she and her fiance had broken up. I've spent hours over the years listening and giving my feedback to her about the relationship because it has been a rocky one and I do think this break up is the right thing for her. She is worthy of so much more, but I still ache for her & her pain. I made sure to text her each day while I was gone to check in on her and then called her immediately when I returned. I then received an email from my cousin that she & her husband of 14 years are getting divorced. I have not had a chance to talk to her- we've played phone tag and hopefully I will get to talk to her tomorrow. But again, just saddened and I'm sure she is stressed out, in pain and scared about the future for her and her three boys. Then I noticed that my niece changed her relationship status to "single" and her posts have eluded to a "fresh start" in life for her and her baby girl of 3 months. This is not really a surprise, we had a few long conversations about her relationship with the baby's father and I just think he's too young and has living to do, he's not ready to settle. I still need to get together with her and have a conversation on this. So three breakups in a week- making me even more appreciative of my darling Bill.
Then today, probably the biggest heartache of all. A friend from High School posted that her husband, age 48 passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Monday. Brain Aneurysm. My heart just aches for Barbara and her family, I can't even imagine the "here today, gone tomorrow" of a spouse, a life partner, the love of your life. There simply are no words. Barbara and I are not close friends - but she was my first friend in High School outside of the group of friends that I had known previously- we were seated next to each other in homeroom for 4 years due to alphabetical seating arrangements and often sat next to each other in classes for the same reason.
So tomorrow (well technically today), I am exceptionally thankful for all of my blessings. To my family, I love you unconditionally - there is nothing that I would not do for any of you. For my BFF's and you know who you are, you are my family also & I love you! For everyone else in my life, whether you are a travel colleague, fitness colleague, client who has crossed over to friend status, someone I've known all my life or someone who I've known for a shorter period of time- I am grateful for all of you and blessed to have you in my life. Wishing everyone a very blessed Thanksgiving Day today and everyday!
No comments:
Post a Comment