Monday, March 31, 2014

Reflections on Megamadness 2014

It's been almost 48 hours since MegaMadness ended on Saturday night and I've had to give it some time to sink in.  This was my 2nd MegaMadness that I've traveled to, I've done plenty of local quarterlies, but those are on such a smaller scale.  This event just seems to get more and more amazing.   I thought a good place to start would be to re-read my reflections from last year's Mega and see how differently or the same I feel this time around.  Here is the link to last year's reflections:
http://pamharperhorst.blogspot.com/2013/03/renewed-rejuvenated-ready.html

Well, this year was an overall different experience for me.  Work, like expected was ridiculously busy before leaving and I literally had to work through the night on Wednesday to try to get as much done as possible.  As I sit here and write this, I am still very behind with travel quotes.  After working through the night, I went to the gym to do a peer review for a fellow spin instructor, then back to my office to work, finally pack, shower and get to the airport.  I brought files with me, but really did not have time to do any work.  Once I arrived, got to the ARIA resort, checked-in and then met up with Jocelyn and several other friends for dinner.  Before dinner, I ran into both my BodyFlow trainer Rachel and my BodyCombat trainer Rebecca- so good to see them both and that made me stop and think. Just a year ago, I only taught 1 Les Mills format and now I am certified to teach three!  I have got to believe that it was last year's Mega experience that really inspired me to take on more - yes, me the crazy busy person taking on more!   There is still a possibility that I may take on two more formats, but we'll see.  I really would like to do the RPM training, Jocelyn just got certified and loves it - and at this Mega, they did the launch preview of the new Born to Move program for kids, which I think is going to be a super program.  Time will tell.

Thursday dinner went well, did a little gambling with Jocelyn & Gediz- they gambled, I watched and we finally got to our rooms around 1230am..yes I had been up since 830am on Wednesday morning, so about 40 hours by the time I got to bed and then was up at 615am to start Day One with full day of AIM 1 for Body Combat (Advanced Instructor Training).  Initially, I was nervous for this AIM because I am still a rookie with Body Combat- last year for Body Pump, I was a seasoned instructor and very comfortable in my Body Pump skin.  But this year, I had the comfort of knowing a BUNCH of people taking AIM, last year I went in alone.  It was awesome!  Not only was this training led by Dan Cohen- the program director for Body Combat, but he had several Rock Star trainers with him to assist...Angel, Jericho, Will, Ben, Petter & Peggy - all well know Body Combat Trainers/Presenters.  I was in Will's group and we had our track assignments, which we randomly signed up for - I got Track 8- which is such a fun boxing track with great music.  After we each did our presentations, we received immediate feedback and Will simply had to say, "AWESOME, that track was made for you, you completely dialed into the music, you coached, you motivated" - he went onto say if he had to pick on anything and it would be nit-picky it would be to work on my uppercuts and I know that- I'm much better than I was 6 months ago, but that strike is still a challenge for me.  I felt really great afterwards.  After all of our group presented - and we had a total of 19 presentations per group x 6 groups- so we had about 130 people in this training!  We then continued the afternoon with lectures by Angel and Dan and then drills - learning about the essence of each martial art.  This was so beneficial and eye opening.  In many ways, I loved this AIM more than Body Pump and it could very well be just that I learned so much more that is going to help me as an instructor of Body Combat.  Dan Cohen is simply amazing, he's funny, he's approachable, he made a point of meeting with each and everyone of us in small groups...just awesome, amazing, phenomenal...Friday finished on a serious HIGH and we had so much more to come!

Friday evening we had the cocktail party and Reebok fashion show, it was a very nice event and ended about 915pm and we still hadn't had dinner!  After a day of bagels, nuts, protein bars- we wanted something to stick to our gut- so Jocelyn and I decided to go to the Steakhouse and it did not disappoint.  Very nice dinner, conversation, champagne and we finished up around 1130pm, strolled by the casino tables to find Gediz still up and gambling...I think I finally got to bed around 1am- with another early morning on Saturday- up for Body Pump at 730am!  That was a struggle, but worth every bit of it!  They launched for us Body Pump 90, the release that we won't even receive until May 9th!  It was awesome and fun to take a class where you have no idea what is coming next!  Holy Chest & Shoulder tracks!   This set the pace for an awesome day that was filled with Education Sessions for Body Flow with Josef, Body Combat with Dan & Rach and Body Pump with Susan - lots of great takeaways from each of those sessions.   And a few more workouts- Body Combat 60 (again the release that we will receive in May) which was amazing- marking Body Combat's 15th year!  To take a class like that with 1000 people, there just are no words.  We finished off the day with a Glow in the Dark Body Flow class with release 64- the one that is coming out this month.  Beautiful release and I hope that I get a chance to teach it soon.

Adding to this amazing day- a preview of the new program for kids - Born to Move, a group of kids from the local YMCA came to enjoy the class and boy what fun they had doing it and what fun we had watching the program in action.  It's going to be an amazing addition and something our society needs- we need to get kids moving again, start the fight on globesity at a young age!  I'd love to teach this program, but we'll see if we can find time for that and where it will be offered.   The evening keynote speaker- incredible!  Kyle Maynard gave such an amazing and inspirational presentation - lots of messages, but what I got from it:  live life to its fullest, there are no excuses and there is always going to be someone in a worst predicament than yourself.  If he can feel that way with virtually no arms/legs.  Just incredible...if you'd like to find out more about him- check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czXTkNyzF98

After the day was over, we still had the After Party and Les Mills & Reebok know how to do this in style and Les Mills Instructors love to party!   We had exclusive use of the HAZE nightclub for 2.5 hours with open bar and heavy appetizers and it was a ton of fun and I'll tell you- instructors clean up nicely!  We finished off the night with some gambling and a late night breakfast before finally heading to bed around 130am- of course, I had to enjoy a quick bubble bath since the tub was amazing- but couldn't enjoy it for too long, I was tired.

Overall, a great weekend of spending time with Tribe friends, meeting some who I've only known via email or facebook, making brand new friends, connecting with a few Las Vegas ladies who were in my Body Pump AIM last year, meeting the world class trainers and program directors- it was just a fabulous experience and I can't wait to go again!

Sunday was the day of getting home (smoothly), chillin' on the couch - Ok napping on the couch, trying to do work (didn't get any of it done) and then today after getting up for my 7am Body Pump class, chiropractic adjustment, I ended up crawling back into bed and sleeping until 2pm..I'm still tired and don't feel well.  Usually, my allergies flare up after a trip and they also flare up when in a smoky environment (casinos)- so I am hoping that is all, but only time will tell.  I've gone through enough stupid Kleenex though and I'm about to hit the hay and get some sleep- lots of it.  Still have a ton of work to do, but I just can't focus when I feel like this.  Hoping tomorrow is a better day!

So happy that they had a photo booth with a scheduled time to take pictures with your favorite "Les Mills Celebrities"-  The One & Only Body Combat Duo:  Dan Cohen & Rachael Newsham!

No comments: