Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Attitude Adjusted

 

Last year, when I knew we would have some sort of "normal" routine once Bill's work moved to Reno, I packed workout gear, I packed my Body Pump equipment- thinking that I would have space in the AirBnB to start working out from "home".  Well, the place looked much larger in the photos and though it was an adequate space for us to live in temporarily, there was definitely no space to work out! 

I wanted to try walking around the neighborhood, but it was all so new and though I knew it was a safe neighborhood, I was also a bit fearful that I might get lost or not find my way back home.  Then on July 20, 2021, when Bill got home, I suggested that we walk to Safeway to get the few things that we had on the list.  I STRUGGLED BIG TIME!!

I felt so out of shape, I was huffing and puffing and wondered how much of the huffing and puffing was the 4000 elevation that I'm not used to, the extra weight that I was carrying, the lack of activity that had been my life for two years or perhaps a combination of it all.   I was in tears and in pain walking back.  This was just over a mile roundtrip and it took forever, but I kept pushing.   But I also felt very defeated and did not start going for walks again until 13 months later.  

Now I've been walking or dancing or doing something to get my 10k steps in daily and have been consistently doing so for 8+ weeks.  In fact, today will be my 60th consecutive day of 10k or more steps per day.  I might not always like to get up and go for my walk, but once I get walking I love it.   I'm no longer huffing or puffing and I'm feeling more fit.   I range between 2.5-3 miles most days and if for some reason I don't make it out to walk, I end up doing laps in the house to get my steps.   My longest walk so far this year was 3.83 miles and it felt great.  I wanted to walk more but didn't have the time. Bill is walking with me on the weekends, he's so supportive and I'm so blessed to have him as my partner in all things! 


I've also been on Weight Watchers for 8 weeks and have lost 16.2 pounds and 9+ inches.  I weight myself regularly but decided to measure once a month and am about due for another measurement.  The program has been easy for me.  I have learned to make choices and decided that I'm choosing a smaller version of myself instead of that cookie or that bag of chips.  I am measuring everything!!  Each night, Bill will ask if I am having a glass of wine and how many ounces.  I want to fit into the numerous pairs of jeans and shorts that I've hung onto for years.   I've been lucky that even though my weight was out of control, I've still been "healthy" as far as all the tests go with blood work and my Doctor has said that I was just a "fit fat person"--but eventually my luck with that was going to run out.   I'm loving my new life here in Reno and want to be around a long time to enjoy it.  We're not getting any younger!!!  I'm not even sure how it's possible that I will be 57 in a little over a month.  I feel as though I was just 40 and meeting Bill yesterday!!! 

I was way overdue for an Attitude Adjustment and needed the kick in the ass to get moving again and I attribute my success to our Weight Management Group in our new Community.  Even those who are not in the group, who know that I'm doing WW are being so supportive.  We had an invite for dinner over a friend's house and she said, "I was thinking of having grilled meat for dinner to make fajitas- will that work into your WW plan" - sometimes it's the little things like this that make you realize who you can count on for support! 

Well it is just after midnight and I must get some sleep- that's another thing- I am consistently getting 7-8 hours of sleep almost every night and I've had very little caffeine in 8 weeks.  Let's face it- Cappuccino for 5 points of 6 ounces of wine for 5 points, choices.  Priorities. 😂🍷  I want to get my walk in tomorrow morning before 11am Water Aerobics....which I have to say that I am enjoying water aerobics.  It's a great workout, easy on the joints and adds some resistance training to my routine.  The Body Pump bar will be coming out soon, I miss it and need to start doing that work out! 




No comments: