Friday, February 07, 2014

Hello February

January sure flew by- gee whiz!   I really don't know where all the time goes, but it sure does go quickly!   This month I think more than any other, really went by super fast and I suppose that is much to do with everything that had to get done.  We were extremely busy with getting mom's apartment emptied by the end of the month.  Certainly did not want to pay any additional rent to Woodside Terrace.

It took five visits to get everything packed up- several trips to donate to Good Will and Pick of the Litter.  An incredible amount of clothing, nick knacks, pictures...it's sad to see all of ones favorite possessions be reduced to that, but what can you do?   You can't take it all home.  My sister and I did pretty good I think.  She has taken mom's bedroom set and sold her previous set which was our grandmother's that she's used for 30 years.  I took the bedding for mom's bed - it was fairly new and replaces the Laura Ashley comforter set that moved in with Bill 10 years ago, which was his previous marriage comforter set- it was time to be rid of that.  I have a few of mom's teddy bears on my mantle, a few of her butterfly magnets to go on my fridge.  There are a few things here and there that we both picked up in memory of mom.  What we also did was pack up and ship something special to our cousins & Aunts so that they had something special from our mom.   That has been so well received.

It amazed me at how things work.  We sent my cousin Jamie a ceramic white butterfly, not knowing that ever since her father-in-law passed away a year ago that they have seen an abundant amount of white butterflies and always feel as though those butterflies are "dad"- Jamie was so surprised by our gift and that it was a white butterfly.   We sent my cousin Beth a ferris wheel music box with teddy bears on the ferris wheel for her granddaughter's room.  The music box has played on its own a couple of times ~ I think my mom has been visiting CT.!   It felt good to send a few special people something special of mom's.

We were lucky enough to sell most of her furniture- although there are still a few small pieces & a few lamps sitting in my living room right now.  Soon my house will return to normal, I just know it will- it has to before I go cray cray crazy!

While cleaning out her apartment, we had visits from several of her neighbors- so many people just in shock that mom was gone.  I got the impression that she was popular at Woodside Terrace, she was someone that people all liked and weeks later I was told that they are still talking about her and miss her.  That's pretty cool to know that she really did make lasting impressions with people.  I gave her Skeleton decoration to her neighbor Frances and gave her neighbor Maryann a plant stand and plant - she in return promised to care for the plant in mom's honor.  I told her the truth- I kill plants!

Closure is the name of the game right now.  We emptied her apartment last week,  tomorrow we have the internment ceremony at the cemetery.  I'm not too sure how I feel about this, I'm not a cemetery person- never have been, never will be.  I do not need to go to the cemetery to visit my dearly departed parents.  I think in 24 years, I've probably gone to see my dad's gravesite a handful of times.  Cemeteries are depressing places.  I'd much rather remember my loved ones everyday in the course of my daily life.  But we need to do something as we bury her ashes alongside my dads.  So Pastor Draeger will be coming with us and officiating this ceremony.

Next Friday- more closure- our family, childhood home closes escrow and a new family- The McCord's will be calling 1032 Goettingen Street "home" and making their own family memories.  While I am so happy a good family will be moving into our home, it's still very bittersweet.  You always think you have a home you can go back to, or parents you can always go visit.  Not anymore.

I am looking forward to March 9th, we will be having a Celebration of Life and it's going to be awesome.  A time to honor my mom in front of friends and family and really celebrate the life that she lived, the fights that she fought and the love that she shared with everyone she met.  Although, it will be our "last" official mom thing - I'm not worried.  She is with me every single day, I feel her near me, I hear her talk to me -I can't even really explain it- but she is here.  All the time.

Here we go into February....hopefully a month of catching up on work, getting estate stuff in order and ending with a fabulous Line Dance cruise to the Caribbean.  I am looking forward to 7 days of dancing!




No comments: